This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

After fall break, many students return to campus feeling re-energized and ready to take on the rest of the school year. I, however, fell into quite a slump. The idea of getting out of bed and going to class could be compared to volunteering for torture. I could just lay in bed, watch YouTube videos about soldiers returning home, and hope for these feelings to go away. But the best solution to break out of a slump is to get up, take control of the emotions, and turn on some great music — the soundtrack of triumph. If you feel the same way, or you’re just having a bad day, here are 10 songs that’ll boost your mood!

1. “New Rules” by Dua Lipa

When the phrase “girl anthem” comes to mind so does Dua Lipa’s “New Rules”. It’s a pop gem that is a guaranteed dance break starter.

2. “Tongue Tied” by Grouplove

This semi-throwback will have you singing, or in my case, screaming along. Grouplove’s early 2000s electropop single will certainly not leave you tongue tied.

3. “Don’t Kill My Vibe” by Sigrid

This Norwegian pop artist skyrocketed into the scene with this empowering banger that everyone can relate to. It has a sick clap-along part that even the most rhythmically challenged person can keep up with.

4. “LITE SPOTS” by Kaytranada

This song will have you attempting to shuffle in your dorm room. “LITE SPOTS” is one of the best songs on Kaytranada’s debut studio album, 99.9% because it has limited vocals and a contagious beat. The catchy Portuguese lyrics alone, that put simply are about being happy, may be enough to change your mood.

5. “Wild Women Don’t Have the Blues” by Cécile McLorin Salvant

Music that can boost your mood doesn’t always have to be obviously happy. Salvant’s entrancing jazz vocals transport listeners to a hazy speakeasy where a cigar and some kind of liquor appear magically in your hands. This song provides the ideal balance between laughter and beauty with it’s personal lyrics.

6. “Ocean Avenue” by Yellowcard

Perhaps it’s because I’m from sunny Los Angeles, but this song always puts a smile on my face. Sometimes a girl just needs loud guitars, violins, and memories of a teenage romance that may or may not have happened. This early 2000s pop punk necessity guarantees head banging.

7. “Good Life” by Kanye West ft T-Pain

Reflecting on the negative parts of your life is inevitable, but it’s necessary to recognize the positives too! While Kanye has made some questionable choices as of late, like most of us, it is difficult to deny the genius that is his album Graduation. “Good Life” is a slice of perfection and gratitude pie on a plate. So go dig up your old shutter shades and dig in.

8. “Don’t You Want Me” by The Human League

This song is the epitome of a sing-along. You might have to sing both parts of the duet, but who’s a better singer than you? If you listen to the lyrics closely enough, it could get a bit creepy. But since it’s October, I’ll allow it.

9. “Lipgloss” by Charli XCX ft CupcakKe

Word to the wise: this isn’t a song I would recommend playing in the car with your family — but if you do please send me a video! But this song is just too good not to mention. Charli XCX and CupcakKe joined forces for this upbeat song that you can’t help but dance to. If you’re not a fan of pretty explicit music about sex, you can just listen to the beat, which alone, is just as dance worthy!

10. “I Would Die 4 U” by Prince

How could you not smile when listening to one of the most celebrated and influential artists of all time? Prince’s 1984 hit exhibits the intensity of his love and impeccable writing skills. The hit even has hand movements that go along with the lyrics — you can learn them in the movie Purple Rain. Now, instead of focusing on the negative parts of life, you have something positive to focus all of your energy on. Thanks Prince!

Check out my playlist with all of these songs! 

Hello there! My name is Danner Jaundoo-Baker and I'm a sophomore here at USF. I'm a Computer Science major with a strong interest in being an English minor.
Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!