Why Sally Yates Is My Hero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Before Sally Yates became an American Hero in my world and to half  the American population, did anyone know who she really was? What she stood for and what she fought against? Yates has been a firm fixture in the Obama administration, and spent years defending policies, championing changes to the criminal justice system and curtailing government official corruptions.  Yates has spent decades fighting on the right side of the law, putting a stop to racketeering, bribery, corrupt business people, terrorists, killers, child-slavers and drug dealers. It simply did not matter what side of Congress you stood: Democrat or Republican, Yates was known for taking on corruption cases that ultimately shaped her career in the Department of Justice. Sally Yates embodies the role of a leader at the highest regard, and someone this country should be honored to have as an Attorney General. 

In a video that’s made its rounds across the internet, Sally Yates was ironically asked by Jeff Sessions (Trump’s current nominee for attorney general) whether she was capable of standing up to the president if she ever believed his actions to be unlawful. She responded, “I believe the attorney general or the deputy attorney general has an obligation to the law and the Constitution, and to give their independent legal advice to the president,”

At the time of Yates hearing this was probably considered a stellar answer, one that almost everyone could be proud of. That the decision to have her as attorney general was clearly the right choice. Someone who would uphold the constitution and abide by the laws of this country no matter if it meant telling the president of the free world—No.

During Donald Trump’s campaign run he promised that, if elected he would take on the task of extreme vetting— putting measures in place that would stop and keep radical Islamic terrorist from entering the United States, regardless if they were green card holders or held visas. On January 27, Trump delivered and he signed an Executive Order that would bar seven majority muslim countries from entering the U.S. those included: Iran, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Sudan. 

Three days later on January 30, Sally Yates did exactly as she said she would if placed in a situation that required her to make such a decision if she believed the president’s action to be unlawful.  Yates sent a letter to the the top lawyers at the Department of Justice. In the letter it reads, “consequently, for as long as I am the Acting Attorney General, the Department of Justice will not present argument in defense of the Executive Order, unless and until I become convinced that it is appropriate to do so.”

Within a few hours President Trump relieved Sally Yates of her duties as acting attorney general—she was fired.  White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer, responded in a statement stating that the acting Attorney General had “betrayed” the Department of Justice by refusing to enforce a legal order designed to protect the citizens of the United States.

Protest erupted across the country, at airports, on  streets and at home with citizens voicing their opinions on the newly signed Executive Order. Many believed that Trump’s decision was and is unconstitutional and biased against Muslims. In a time that this country needed someone in their corner, Sally Yates showed up and she did not disappoint. Yates refusal to defend the temporary ban on travelers from seven Muslim-majority nations in court showed her true value as an American and her defiance to do anything but uphold the rights of the Constitution.

In hindsight Yates at the time was an acting attorney general, and a holdover from the Obama administration; who was set to be replaced within the coming weeks. So why show her stance on the matter and not just resigned? I’ll tell you why, Yates is devoted to upholding the law and the Constitution, she is devoted to a better America. Yates is a firm leader, unwavered by opposition and unwilling to be swayed by something she did not believe was lawful. Yates bravery to defend the constitution and unlawful prejudice should not be confused or denounce to defiance.

What Yates did was both honorable and commemorable.  She embraced her role as attorney general and upheld it to highest honor and simply did not act on instinct. Sally Yates acted on years of experience in her letter she stated, “my responsibility is to ensure that the position of the Department of Justice is not only legally defensible, but is informed by our best view of what the law is after consideration of all the facts.” Yates is and should be a role model to all for her principled devotion and her preparedness to fight for lawful indifference because we belong in a world where any can belong.

One thing is certain, that Yates is a trailblazer, destined to be remembered far beyond the years. Sally Yates, will be remembered as a patriot who stood on the right side of history, she is a what strong character looks like and I applaud her over and over again. 

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.