Why It’s Okay To Be Single In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Hello collegiettes™!

Fall semester is right around the corner, and that means getting back to crazy schedules, and dealing with new classes and professors. But it can also mean catching up with boyfriends/girlfriends after a whole summer apart. Well, at least for those in a romantic relationship. Although we meet so many new people in college, meeting a significant other during the college years does not happen for everyone, and that’s totally okay!

It’s seems expected from us that in the midst of so many people in our university we would have to meet someone to become a romantic partner, but that is totally not the case for everyone. There is a whole scoop of experiences and relationships to experience and develop in college, and although some may end up finding the love of their lives in their college years, for others college may mean finding the best friends of their lives or even finding the job opportunity that they’ve been always dreaming of.

So if you find yourself approaching the end of your college life still with a single relationship status or you’re just starting college as a single lady, here are some of the reasons why it’s totally and completely okay to be single in some or all of your college years:

1. Because you can focus more on your friends. You may not meet your spouse/life partner in college, but you might meet your bridesmaids and best friends for life! You know, the ones that would listen to you sharing your struggles with your spouse and raising kids one day, if it happens for you. 

So no need to get desperate if you see some people getting diamond rings in their college years while you’re just hanging out with your friends. Focus on those friendships and you might just find those people that will be glad to grow old with you, regardless if you ever get married or not.

2. Because you can focus more on your studies. No date for a Friday or Saturday night? Well, it’s time to bring out the ice cream bucket, play some good music and dig into those school books! Although college is definitely a time and place to develop a social life and learn how to network with people, it is also about gaining knowledge and a diploma at the end.

So if you find your social life a bit on the down low, try focusing more on the academics aspect of your college life. Of course it’s important to connect with others in college and go out sometimes, whether you have a romantic date or not. But it’s also important to dedicate some (or even many!) weekends to really hit the books.

3. Because you can focus more on yourself. Singleness is the perfect season in life for us to really get to know who we are and what we want. Especially during college where we are pursuing our dreams and planning the future, singleness can actually be very beneficial.

We don’t have to consider other person’s plans for the future as we plan our own, so if a master’s degree abroad opportunity comes, it’s much easier as a single lady to pack and leave for another country in a heartbeat! Enjoy the freedom to choose whatever path in life you feel your heart is taking you to.

4. Because college (and life!) is so much more than just dating. Sometimes we may have the tendency to think that our college years (and even our lives as a whole) revolves around finding that one true love that we will spend the rest of our lives with. Of course for some people they might find that person in college, but for others it may still be way down the road that their paths will cross with their true love’s path (if they even want to find such thing).

We need all kinds of relationship to share life with, not just a romantic one. Re-connecting with family, developing real and meaningful friendships, and spending time to really get to know our co-workers are all relationships that keeps us happy and healthy in life. So whether you find that one true love in college or not, take your single years to enjoy all those other awesome relationships you already have around you right now.

Photo Sources:

http://sweat.burnthis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/girls_group_beach-1024×682.jpg

http://www.wallcoo.net/photography/collage_life_1600x1200/images/%5Bwallcoo_com%5D_collage_life_HG102_350A.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1365361/thumbs/o-WOMAN-RELAXING-SMILE-facebook.jpg

Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.