Why Everyone Should, At Least, Consider Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you’re reading this, you are like many people who have a mother, a sister, a daughter, a girlfriend or a friend—and you want the best for them. You want them to succeed and you want to empower them to be the best person they can be. Well, feminists want this too.

Feminism is a generally misconceived concept, and to identify as a feminist usually leads to being categorized as a man-hater, a radical, a woman that overreacts and a liberal snowflake. Thankfully, those are misconceptions and in reality, feminism goes beyond the equality of men and women.

As feminists, we advocate for the equality and justice of those oppressed by a system that continues to put odds against them.

In the past, feminism began with underlying patriarchal themes and it did exclude women of color, but that’s the past and today, feminism is intersectional. Feminism today includes people of color, men, homosexuals, those who are transgender, Muslims and Christians—well, it includes everyone who is willing to listen and fight for the rights of human beings.

Lilla Watson, a women’s rights activist, said, “If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.”

The feminist point of view is that we will not find the peace that we long for in the world until we recognize our place in this world and we come to understand everyone’s differences. Underneath we’re all humans, deserving of the very best.

Linda Sarsour, one of the 2017 Women’s March organizers, said, “If you don’t pick a side, you’re on the side of oppression by default.” So, for the sake of your mother, your sister, your daughter, your girlfriend or your friend, support them. Pick feminism.