Why Every Woman Should Read “Milk And Honey”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

What is the greatest lesson a woman should learn?

that since day one. she’s already had everything she needs within herself. it’s the world that convinced her she did not.

-rupi kaur

This quote felt like a mirror of my thoughts. Someone has finally said it, and so eloquently. I am one who believes that women were born beautiful and shouldn’t have to change or add anything to feel beautiful by society standards. Rupi’s statement said it all.

Rupi Kaur is a Canadian based Sikh poet who wants to show how complex and strong women are. I was so curious about who she was and through researching and reading about her I found how she uses her vivid poetry to heal. But her poetry does more than heal; it creates awareness, empowerment and hope. I discovered her book “Milk and Honey” two days ago, and I devoured it. Her poetry is universally relatable. “Milk and Honey” is a powerful, vivid collection of poems that touches the themes of heartbreak, sexual abuse, loss and femininity. It almost feels like the poems are talking to you. I feel like most of us women have been in some kind of a one sided relationship. You argue with yourself imagining things that could be versus things that are reality—and you don’t realize till it’s too late. Rupi helps you open your eyes because we are all stronger than that.

“Milk and Honey” is written in four sections and each section has at least one poem or prose that would hit you, connect with you or resonate with you.

I have many favorites in “Milk and Honey.” Below are some USF student favorites.

Rachel Ikekhua, University of South Florida

Christina Adepoju, University of South Florida

Jennifer Lost, University of South Florida

Deepthi Varghese, University of South Florida

Esmerelda Barrera, University of South Florida

If you have any other favorites by Rupi Kaur, it doesn’t have to be from “Milk and Honey,” don’t hesitate to share below.

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.