nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

WELLNESS WEDNESDAY: Tips to Avoid Snacking on the Office Junk Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

A new semester is upon us and with a new semester comes new internships. Whether you are interning on or off campus, there is likely to be snacks and snacks only lead to one thing—over-eating. If you find yourself staring mindlessly at the computer screen, shoveling Oreos into your mouth and realize you’re not sure if that is your second or sixth Oreo, it may be time for a snackervention!

1. Bring snacks that can withstand not being in a fridge

The obvious thing to do would be to bring your own snacks to your internship, but most of the time this tactic fails because the snacks go bad. I once packed a cup of yogurt with sliced banana, but by the time I wanted to snack it wasn’t cold and the bananas had turned brown. That’s an easy way to fall into the trap of eating the junk snacks. Instead, opt for snack that will hold you over and are low-maintenance. Bring protein or granola bars, Special K cracker chips or Triscuits. These snacks can be stored in a Ziploc bag and eaten at any time of the day.

2. If available, utilize the office kitchen

Most offices have the basics when it comes to kitchen appliances– a fridge, microwave and toaster. Take advantage of this and bring things that can be prepared with these appliances. Fruits and vegetables can be stored in the fridge, along with any dips you may want to go with them. There are tons of one-serving, frozen vegetable options at the store that can be easily microwaved for a midday snack. As for the toaster, consider packing a few slices of bread in a Ziploc bag and bringing a small tupperware of jelly, peanut butter or Nutella to spread on it.

3. Bring snacks you look forward to eating

Sometimes when you pack snacks just in hopes that they last throughout the day, you can find yourself packing foods you wouldn’t normally go for if you were at home. What are your top picks when snacking at home? Now take these items and figure out how to make them work while at your internship. Would you normally snack on grapes? Invest in a nice tupperware set that includes clip-on freezer packs. Or do you normally pick out something frozen? Take this with you and put it in the office freezer (with your name on it!) and microwave it when you are ready for a snack. Just make sure that you take snacks that you want to eat. This will help you feel more satisfied and will hold you over longer until lunch or dinner time.

It’s always awesome when an employer supplies their employees with any kind of food, but when the only options are junk food, it is best to stray away. Don’t blame your boss–providing interns with food can get costly, especially if they purchase healthy foods. Plus, one day when you are seriously craving chocolate, those Oreos will be there. It’s always nice to treat yourself occasionally.

Photo Sources:

http://whisperedinspirations.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Kel-Chips-01-1024×646.jpg

http://www.ripsolutionsltd.co.uk/data/images4/office_kitchen.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Fresh-Container-Removable-Colors/dp/B000FNCS5M/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_z

Kelsey Howard is a senior at the University of South Florida. She is majoring in mass communications with a concentration in magazine and a minor in American Sign Language. Kelsey is currently on the Editorial Team for Her Campus USF, is a blogger for Rent the Runway and a news writing intern for USF College of Arts and Sciences. She loves writing about fashion, beauty, relationships, careers, education, and much more. Kelsey aspires to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career at a national, monthly magazine. Kelsey is currently on a mission to empower girls and women everywhere! Follow Kelsey on Twitter and Instagram at @KelseyKayHoward and read her personal blog at http://www.kelseykayhoward.com. View her resume and portfolio at www.kelseykayhoward.info.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.