The Ultimate ‘Before You Graduate’ Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

You are sitting on the edge of your seat, anxiously waiting for them to call your name. You glance down at your gown and make a quick adjustment of your cap. Your stomach feels like an endless pit and your heart is in your throat. The sea of family members await eagerly for when they hear your name being called and they can finally erupt in applause.

The stage is lit up and pristine. The podium stands tall and proud in the center. Cameras are flashing all around. An almost tangible excitement completely takes over the room. The seats start to sore as you feel you have been sitting in them forever.

This is the moment you’ve worked so hard for. The moment you get to glide down that stage and finally receive your college diploma. “Just don’t trip. Just don’t trip,” you say to yourself over and over. But just as they are about to call your name, your mind wanders to the last four years spent on this campus. “Have I done enough?” “Will I be remembered?” These are the thoughts that run across your mind.

These next four years will be full of stress and craziness from all the school work. But you also need to remember this one simple rule: HAVE FUN. College is definitely not all work and no play. Play hard, be reckless, go on adventures. Just make these next four years awesome. Here are some bucket list items to get you started.

1.Dance like there is no tomorrow.

Let the music just take over your entire body and lose yourself for a night (or even well into the early morning hours).

2.Study abroad.

There is no better experience than immersing yourself in a totally different culture. The food, the clothes, the people, the education — studying abroad will definitely only benefit you.

3.Grab your girls, junk food, alcohol and all of the rom-coms you can find.

The alcohol will flow, the food is endless and the rom-coms are one click away at this Ultimate Girls Night In.

4.Skip an entire day’s worth of classes.

Of course college is full of learning opportunities and professors with so much to share, but sometimes you just need a day where you can throw away your responsibilities and rejuvenate your mind and body.

5.Take a class that isn’t in your major.

Even though you may be majoring in one area, doesn’t mean you can’t explore other classes. College campuses offer a variety of different classes that teach a number of subjects. Don’t limit yourself to just your basic classes and that’s it! Branch out and try new things.

6.Join a club.

One thing I LOVE about the University of South Florida are all the organizations available for students to join. Anything from Disney to Marine Biology and everything in between can be found on this campus. The best — and easiest — way to meet people is to join clubs and organizations.

7.Rush a sorority.

Don’t think you are cut out for the sorority life? Well don’t totally close down that as an option. Sororities aren’t just organizations to party in; they also do community service work around the community and have to maintain their grades and represent the campus proudly.

8.Take a roadtrip.

The little shops, the small but close-knit communities, the whole-in-the-wall food joints — these are just some of the things you will discover whether you take a cross-country road trip or one around the city.

9.Tailgate at sporting events.

The excitement flows throughout the entire parking lot. Drinks, food and laughter run rampant. A sea of team colors covers the entire lot. Wigs, foam fingers painted faces and jerseys all come out to play. There is nothing like the feeling of tailgating with a bunch of friends — and even perfect strangers — right before the big game.

10.Do something you’d never think you’d ever do.

Ziplining. Bungee jumping. Skydiving. Streaking. Joining a protest. Whatever you would never picture yourself doing, do it! As corny as it sounds, this is the only time you will ever be young. Make the most of it and create moments you will sit on the porch with your elderly best friends talking about.

11.Go on a blind date.

Apply the red lipstick, throw on that little black dress, take deep breaths and get ready for the best — or worst — date of your life. The excitement and curiosity will carry you through the night and the guy on the other end of the table will provide you with stories to tell later on.

12.Pull an all-nighter.

Burn the midnight oil, spread your books and papers across your bed, bring your computer to life and prepare to study till your eyes pop out of your head.

13.Get an internship.

Finally stepping into the field where you want to be in is a feeling everyone has to feel while in college. An internship will provide you with the best glimpse at what you can expect to do for the rest of your life in your field. It’ll either ignite your passion or extinguish it faster than an oncoming train.

14.Have a one-night stand.

The excitement of being with a stranger in a passionate, alcohol-induced night will be something you can tell for years to come. Like I said, this is your time to be reckless.

15.Relax and actually enjoy graduation.

It’s stressful, you will feel like you are running around like a chicken with no head and you will probably experience some form of a breakdown. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy graduation. This will be your very last time being in the safe haven you called home for four whole years. You worked your butt off to get here, so don’t let the little stuff overshadow your much needed celebration.  

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.