TRENDING: Cape Style Jackets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

It’s award season and my favorite part of every award show (aside from the dramatic speeches) is the red carpet, of course! I’ve been noticing a subtle trend lately. Some of my favorite, eye-catching looks have all had some pretty similar elements. It looks like the cape dress is going to start making a pretty big statement as award season continues. Since most collegiettes™ don’t have much of a need for a dramatic and formal cape dress, I decided to take a look at a more realistic trend — cape style jackets. Take a look at the outfits below to see how some of your favorite stars inspired these soon-to-be trending looks.

LOOK 1: Keep it Classic

Lupita Nyong’o from 12 Years a Slave looked red hot in Ralph Lauren at the 2014 Golden Globes. Lupita’s look is classic and really showcased her true beauty. This was definitely my favorite look of the night. You can do the same by starting with a structured red cape style coat. Pair that with slim black pants to balance the proportion of the jacket. A long-sleeved, sheer black top will peek out and look really pretty up against the jacket. Short buckled boots are a great classic touch to this look because they won’t distract too much from the drama of the jacket. A big, floppy hat will add a dramatic element, while the clean lines of a structured bag will keep it classic. A statement ring, red lipstick and a swipe or two of mascara will tie it all together.

LOOK 2: Edgy & Dramatic 

Kelly Osbourne wore a black Badgley Mischka gown at the 2014 Grammy’s. In her usual style, Kelly looked dramatic and edgy in the backless gown. The embellished shoulder pads added extra height and drama to her look. A burgundy button down and black pencil skirt are a great foundation for this look. The button down will stay smooth under the jacket and the pencil skirt screams “Check out these curves!” This black cape jacket sort of mimicks Kelly’s look since all the drama stays at the shoulders. Pair it with some sky high heels and chunky multi-colored cuff bracelets. A structured embellished bag will add even more edge to this look. Finish the look with some berry lipstick, a contoured cheek and swipe of mascara. 

LOOK 3: Luxe & Ladylike

Holland Roden from Teen Wolf was the picture of feminine perfection in a Basler dress at the 2014 Universal Music Group Grammy Party. The vivid purple is so eye-catching and the scalloped edge of the cape dress adds such a sweet, girly touch. A purple cape jacket with a collar and tied waist will look girly and sophisticated. Underneath, a pink long-sleeved shirt will pair nicely with gold lightly printed pants. Muted pink earrings, handbag and pointed toe heels will be sweet feminine touches that won’t overwhelm the rest of the outfit. A simple pale pink watch and gold ring will pair nicely with the rest of the outfit. Highlight your cheeks with a pale pink blush, swipe on some mascara, line your eyes and perfect your point with a pretty pink lipstick. 

What are your thoughts on this burgeoning trend? Do you want to make it work or toss it to the side? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.