diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Trading Spaces: A Guide to Parking on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

College can be hard. We know this; we’ve accepted this. But parking can make college twice as hard: Driving around playing the parking lottery, wondering if you’ll ever get a spot. But who says parking has to be the bane of your college existence?

​Luckily, I’ve begun to perfect the skill that is parking on campus. As a soon-to-be graduate, I’ve taken it upon myself to share my parking trade secrets in an effort to ease your struggles. 

What you should do:

• Do show up about 10 minutes before class is over. Say a class gets out at 10:45 a.m., showing up at 10:35 a.m. is ideal. Many teachers let classes go within the last 10-15 minutes so you’re sure to be first in line for a spot.
  • Do wait by the sidewalks nearest the buildings. We’re all in college with the same goal: to get a parking spot. If you’re waiting by the sidewalk when classes release, then you’re more likely to find someone that’s heading to their car. Just ask with a friendly smile if they’re headed out and where they’re parked, and you’re more than likely going to get their spot. If you’re really bold, ask if they’d like a ride to their car. In that case, you’ll be guaranteed a spot and in record time. But, don’t forget to return the favor—we’re all in the same boat, after all, and no one likes a space hoarder.
  • Do consider alternate modes of transportation. Walking, biking, skateboarding, rollerblading, and free-for-student transportation services like the Bullrunner are all convenient ways to get to campus. There are plenty of stops near off-campus housing, as well as several stops near most campus buildings. Carpooling with other friends or roommates saves the stress of finding parking for most parties involved. So, get those steps in, help keep the air clean, and stop worrying about parking. Trust me, everyone else will thank you for it. 

As for things to avoid:

• Don’t be the early bird, you’ll rarely get the worm. Why get to school while class is in session? No one will be giving up their spot in the middle of class so you’ll probably be wasting your time.  Undoubtedly, you’ll spend upward of 45 minutes to an hour driving around, the sun beating down on your car, all while you curse the university and everything for which it stands. Hey, maybe a few spots will open up, but the largest influx of open parking happens near the end of class times.
  • Don’t drive around aimlessly. If you’re driving around the lot and you see someone halfway to their car, chances are you aren’t the first person who’s seen them. If you’re just driving around the parking lot, you’re more likely to get caught behind someone else waiting for a spot.
  • Just don’t park on campus. There are plenty of ways to get to school that don’t include the hassle of parking. Plus, it leaves more spots for commuters and eases the congestion that occurs in almost every lot.

These tips haven’t been scientifically proven to get you a spot, but I’ve been extremely lucky when it comes to parking. They also don’t provide a long-term solution for what is definitely a flawed parking system at USF. Don’t just take my word for it though: I asked USF student, John Kregler, to use my parking tips and, well, I think the results are clear: 

Errica is currently a senior at the University of South Florida pursuing her degree in English and a minor in theatre. She garners inspiration from everyday experiences as a young woman just trying to make her way through love, life, and work.