This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Midterms are around the corner and for some of us, it might come as a total surprise, complete nightmare or both. However, there are ways to tackle those exams and reports down thus making you the winner at the end of the day. Make the odds in your favor with some tips to potentially try for midterm’s week:

1. Do NOT Cram and Procrastinate

I am, along with many others, guilty of doing this. However after a couple of semesters down, I can tell you cramming will not work for a midterm exam. There is too much information covered in an exam and sometimes professors don’t even give a review guide to help. One night of studying will not suffice and you will also stress yourself out much more by cramming all that information in. Instead, review a little every day and spend a couple of days of intense studying.

2. Go to Review and Group Study Sessions with peers.

You may not know them too well, but they may have all the information you may need to ace that exam! If there is no active group, create a group study session with classmates and friends.  

3. Go Ghost

Delete all social media apps from your phone for this week. We may not like to admit it, but social media can be distracting and can end up taking a lot of study time.

4. Go to your professors office hours

It doesn’t hurt to stop by your professor’s office hours. They may be willing to strongly help you out and clarify any confusions. However, do not go last minute.

5. Don’t forget to eat and stay hydrated

Your brain needs those essential nutrients to fully function at the best of its ability.

6. Get a full nights rest

Just like food and water, sleep is essential for an active brain and actually helps in memorization.

7. Test Yourself

Try to take a practice exam or create a practice exam to test your knowledge, instead of strictly memorizing concepts.

8. Take breaks between studying

Take a 10-20 minute break after a long time of studying. It will help you relax and actually motivate you to study more.

9. RELAX

As strange as it sounds, do something that relaxes or amuses you instead of constantly studying the night before an exam. Go watch a funny movie, play a guitar, go get ice cream. Do whatever you really enjoy. Hopefully these tips can help with acing those exams. Best of Luck on Midterms!

Dream Big
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.