bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things to do at the Beach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Going to the beach while spending the summer in Florida is an absolute must. The beach is the perfect place to get in touch with nature, spend quality time with friends and get that gorgeous summer tan that will get you glowing for the fall semester. Anyone who has grown up by the beach or has been living by the ocean for a while, knows just how awesome going to the beach is. If you still need some reasons to get your swim suit on or are wondering what kind of things you can actually do at the beach, here are some ideas to get you started:

1. Getting a tan on. This is probably the most obvious beach activity and one ladies especially love. There’s no better place to get that perfect summer tan than at the beach. No need for tanning shops when we are in the Sunshine State! Getting a suntan is way healthier than getting it in a tanning shop. But don’t forget the sunscreen! Too much sun is also not good for your skin. It is important to keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water too, because the best tan is the one that doesn’t put your health in jeopardy.  

2. Going to a free spa. Did you know that sand is a natural exfoliator? To get your feet feeling soft and smooth, just rub them on the sand while you enjoy the view of the sea! I sometimes even rub some sand on areas of the skin that are harder to get smooth like elbows and knees. Free spa treatment at the beach? Yes, please!

3. Exercising. Walking or running in the sand and swimming in the ocean are great exercises. Try going early in the morning or around sunset time so it’s not too hot. A cloudy day is also a great day to exercise at the beach!

4. Being artistic. The beach can be really inspiring for any artist, whether in photography, writing, painting or music. There is something about the waves of the ocean, the people walking by and the sun setting on the horizon that really gets artists of all types in awe and inspired at the beach. Think about how many songs, poems and paintings you’ve seen about the beach and the ocean. So take your artistic tools – cameras, drawing pads or even guitars and let the beach inspire you to create some beautiful art.

5. Saying goodbye to stress. How can you feel stressed when the sea breeze is brushing your hair, your feet are on the sand and the sun is kissing your skin?! You can be sure that a day or even a couple hours at the beach will leave you feeling much less stressed. When you head to the beach this summer (or whenever, since we USF students get to enjoy the beach all year long!) try not to think or talk about the things that are stressing you out at the moment. Chances are you won’t be able to solve anything at the beach, so just take that time to relax and let your mind and body take a break so you can better deal with stress once you leave the peace of beach.

So take some time this summer to enjoy the beach if you’re anywhere by the ocean. Choose your favorite activities or try new ones to make your time at the beach even more fun and relaxing. I’m a firm believer that anything (even studying!) gets better at the beach.

Photo Sources:

Personal Archive

Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.