This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Are you looking for something extra to do over the summer? Will friends going home for the summer? It can get pretty lonely and summer classes can only be so interesting. A great way to spend your time wisely is by getting an internship! That’s right collegiettes, it is time to be searching for those last minute internship opportunities. Big companies are always looking for last minute interns for them. So don’t panic, here are some steps to take in order to find a position that fits best.

1. Update your resume, or make one if you have not already done so. It is important to include all clubs and organizations that you are a part of on campus. Add any volunteering or extracurricluars that you have done, as well as jobs that you have maintained over the past couple of years. Be sure to include the requirements and qualifications for the general type of internships you are interested in.

2. Find internships nearby that you can easily get to by driving, taking public transportation, or even having a friend take you. You may not always find an internship opportunity very close by but it can’t hurt look anyway because last minute spots open up quite often. Make sure the positions you are looking are in the field of your major and will help you in the future getting a job in the post-college life. Some websites you can use for searching are http://www.internmatch.com/c/tampa-fl and http://college.monster.com/education.

3. Get a recommendation letter from a professor, coach, or advisor if you can. This is not always required, but it will definitely give you better chances to get the position. When asking for a recommendation letter make sure to include the position you are interested in and your updated resume so the letter-writer can write the most effective letter.

4. Research the company after you have found the internship you want. See what values they have and what they offer. Big companies are more known, so it looks good on your resume, but the bigger the company the bigger the ego. Do not be a part of a company that has had bad publicity or is known for scams. This position may be temporary but you want to work for someone who will make you love what you do. Surrounding yourself with co-workers that will expand your networking connections is always a plus, too.

5. Make sure you meet the requirements and qualifications for the position. Companies take these jobs seriously and if you are missing a requirement, they may not look at your application. If you do meet the requirements and are qualified for the job, the first step is to contact them yourself. This way you can ask questions regarding the internship itself.

6. Once you have applied, make sure to contact the company or firm again and let them know how interested you are. Big companies respond better when you show how much you want the position. They will remember you this way. Be persistent, but do not be overbearing!

7. Most internships will interview you, and if so, be sure to bring at least two copies of your resume. First impressions are very important, so make sure you are business casual. A blazer is not always necessary but is a great addition. Wear simple jewelry and closed toed shoes (heels if you feel fancy). Make sure your phone is off or on silent. Distractions are unprofessional.  At the end of the interview, always ask a question because it will leave the interviewer with something to remember you by. Don’t be nervous, just be yourself.

8. Hopefully you can get to the point where you can say you got the internship! The next step is the first day on the job. Be prepared and bring everything you think you will need. Make sure you get a good night’s rest and bring snacks with you (you never know when your break will be). The first day may be slow but stay excited. This is only temporary. After the first day passes you are good to go! Summer will be productive AND fun.

Hopefully these steps will help you come across opportunities you did not know were there. We all have to start somewhere and although not all internships pay, it is still a good use of your time. Finding an internship is all up to you girl, so reach for the stars, apply and meet your goals!

If you are more interested in finding out more about interships and have any specific questions, go to http://www.usf.edu/career-services/students/internships-and-co-op.aspx.

Ashley Harnish is an Alumna of the University of South Florida. She graduated May of 2016 with her Bachelors in Dance Studies and minor in mass communications. Ashley is a former Editor's Assistant for Her Campus at USF. Even though she has be dancing since was just three years young, she loves it more everyday. Writing is another passion of hers, especially on her blog http://ashleycamille24.wordpress.com/. Her favorite show is F.R.I.E.N.D.S and one day she hopes to travel the entire world while writing about her experiences in each dance community.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.