Peeking into the Panhandle: 5 Things You Must Do At Key West

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The Sunshine State and the Panhandle are just a few names given to the state we Bulls have the privilege of attending school in. Some of us are here to get away from the bitter northern cold, some because Florida is home, and some because they wanted their first American experience to be in Florida. Despite the reason, we can all agree on one thing: we live in a beautiful state. Yes, we have a love-hate relationship with it because of the rain that seems to come out of nowhere and the humidity that never seems to go away. However, we have beaches. Not just any beaches; we have Key West.

Imagine the beaches of Florida as one big crown. Key West is its ultimate jewel. Miles and miles off the tip of the state with bridges that seem to go on forever, and water as clear as the sky, the Key West islands are easily the most unique part of Florida. Here is what you absolutely have to see when you go there.

1. The Southernmost Point

“Hey I go to a Florida school, and we have the southernmost point in the United States.” No, I’m not saying that’s a conversation starter, but it’s definitely one hell of an experience. Right off of Duval Street is the furthest point in the U.S., a mere 90 miles from Cuba and nothing but water until then. Go in the middle of the day, and the sparkling water will blind you with its beauty.

2. Duval Street

This is what I like to call the Bourbon Street of the Keys. An old-fashioned downtown street, Duval will win you over with its charm in an instant. There are cute little boutiques, gift shops galore, and of course, lots of delicious Cuban food. Gracing the street at night is guaranteed to entertain you with music playing at every corner and a thousand smells to entice you.

3. Mallory Square

Similar to Duval, Mallory Square is an old-town street off of Wall Street. Do you love a little history while vacationing? This is the place for you. Starting with the Harry S. Truman Little White House to The Key West Shipwreck Museum, you can immerse yourself in the culture of the islands. Even if that’s not your forte, just like Duval, merely walking down the Square will be enough to win you over.

4. Sunset at South Beach

If you do nothing else, this is the sight you must see. Sunsets. So cliché, right? But let’s face it, there is nothing like the beauty of a sunset. Truly, the beauty of this sunset is like no other. You can literally watch the sun go down as far south as you can get in the country, and there’s something so poetic about that. The colors in the sky reflected in the water and all around you make for a breathtaking image (and not to mention a like-worthy, no filter Instagram post).

5. Stop at Overseas Highway

110 miles of bridge out in the open sea; that’s your drive out to the Keys. It is a 9 hour drive from Tampa, and every bit of it is worth it. Flying would absolutely take away from the beauty of it. Whether you’re making your way down there or whether you’re homebound, you must make a stop at one of these scenic locations to capture the ultimate image. There are even little restaurants right under the bridge at some points along the way because of the fame of the road itself. The view in store for you takes the meaning of road trip to a whole new level.

Collegiettes™, when you’re saving up for spring break or planning to explore a little over the summer, definitely keep Key West in mind. While exploring the world beyond is incredible, discovering something close to home has a novelty of its own.

Photo Credits:

Nousheen Rahman Personal Archive

Second year junior. Environmental Science and Policy major. More of a feminist each day.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.