burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Oscars Fashion for You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Necklines: deep, deep V-neck

• Cate Blanchett

• Margot Robbie

Color: royals – purple and blue

• Tina Fey & Reese Witherspoon (purple)

• Brie Larson (blue)

Hair:

• sleek bun (Mindy Kaling)

• bun  (Jennifer Garner)

The Oscars were last week; a plethora of Best and Worst Dressed Lists were published, debates were had about fashion, so how can you bring Oscar-worthy fashion into your wardrobe?  The styles on the red carpet were everything a closet should be: innovative, classic and sleek.  I don’t know about you, but my red carpet moment is not coming up anytime soon.  Instead, I need to make Oscars fashion work for me.

Color: Be a Royal

Royal hues were a huge hit amongst the Oscars ladies, as they topped many a Best Dressed List.  Reese Witherspoon and Tina Fey matched in a royal purple.  Purple is indeed the color for royalty, but let’s not forget about Brie Larson who shined in a simply elegant blue dress.

These deep, rich hues translate so well to the wardrobe.  They can be used in workout gear (for a softer option than neon), tops, dresses, or a statement cardigan.  Do not be afraid to take these deep rich colors to the next level.  They are meant for royalty like you.

Necklines: Go Deep.

The ladies at the Oscars were not afraid to take risks with their necklines. The sharp V-necks kept getting deeper and deeper as the night went on. I loved the change from what we’ve been seeing a lot of recently with the high neck.  As soon to be professionals, can the deep V-neck work for an internship, or just going to class? You should not need double sided tape to keep your shirt in place when attending class. Keep the stash for the weekends.

Luckily, there are a ton of ways to introduce a deep V-neck into your wardrobe. These are not quite as dramatic or glamorous as Cate Blanchett and Margot Robbie pulled off;  however, we believe in you, collegiates!

Hair: The Final Touches

Now that you have your outfit, color and style, it needs to be topped off with some new hairdos.  The days of messy top knots will never be over, but a new player has joined the team– the low bun. The low bun, as worn by Mindy Kaling and Jennifer Garner can be sleek and smooth, or tousled and sexy.  This makes them an easy addition to the bank of go-to hairstyles when your hair just won’t cooperate.

According to pinterest, these low bun hairstyles are easy to master.  I tried one myself this weekend and it was so easy! Actually, I would say it was easier than the messy top knot.  With a messy bun, it has to be the right kind of messy.  Check out some pinterest tutorials to get started with your new hairstyle:

http://www.oncewed.com/wedding-ideas/diy-low-knot/

http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/tutorials/easy-hairstyles-you-can-do-in-your-car.html

Mix and match your Oscars take away!  If you’ve got a big date or semi-formal coming up, look to emulate one of these stunning ladies and combine all three in one. You’ll be gracing the red carpet before you know it.

I am a sophomore Elementary Education major at USF! My ultimate goal is to teach abroad after I graduate and make quality education more accessible. Otherwise, I am a vegetarian, beginner yogi, curly haired girl who enjoys laughing at her own jokes.
Student at the University of South Florida. Sister and Corresponding Secretary of Gamma Phi Beta. Artist, writer, and animal lover.