This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Hello collegiettes™!

It’s hard to believe that summer is pretty much over and a brand new school year is just around the corner. For some, the start of this new academic year means the start of their college life, with all the dreams, nervousness and expectations that come with it. For others, this is their last new school year as a college student, with all the fears, excitement, opportunities and goodbyes that come with it.

Wherever you find yourself at the start of this school year, it is likely that there things you want to change and do differently this time.  My favorite thing about new beginnings – whether it’s a new calendar year or school year – is that there are so many opportunities lying ahead for change. I love the feeling that whoever I was one year ago doesn’t necessarily need to be the person I will be from now on.

We all have things in our lives that we would like to see changing, such as getting a better GPA, eating healthier, getting a job, or even leaving some bad things, like bad relationships, behind for good. Whatever about ourselves and our lives we would like to change, we have a great opportunity to make it happen this school year!

To begin, I believe it’s important to take some time to look back at the last year before moving on with the changes. By taking some time to really look back at our lives in the past, we can see the things we got right and would like to keep up with, and also the things we didn’t do so good and would like to change. It can even be helpful to make a list of the things you would like to keep doing – that new exercise routine you started a year ago, for example – and the things you would like to change, like no more getting only four hours of sleep every week night!

After we take some time to look back and reflect, it’s time to move forward and act! One thing that can be helpful for encouraging you to be a new version of yourself and make those changes is changing your look. Maybe you can try a new hair color or a new style of outfit. Of course you don’t want to become someone you’re not, but a little bit of change on the outside can help you in changing the inside.

Whatever you feel like you want and need to do differently this school year, don’t be afraid to do so. Don’t be afraid to walk around campus as a new version of yourself; change can be a wonderful thing! Changing eating habits, sleep patterns, priorities, relationships and goals for the future are hard work and take time to happen. But with determination and patience we can make this new school year the best one yet, and bring a new and better version of ourselves to the world.

Happy new school year!

Photo Sources:

http://lomographicsociety.tumblr.com/post/94843068273/lomography-film-of-the-day-fuji-velvia-100f

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/LaDivin/tumblr_kvcsg9x2z21qzfza5o1_500.jpg

http://500px.com/photo/79741537/vi-vi-by-s-i-m-b-a-y-u-

Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.