“Money Looks Better in Your Bank Account Than It Does on Your Feet”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

As the OG Girlboss Sophia Amoruso once said, “Money looks better in your bank account than it does on your feet.”

Over the (too-short) Thanksgiving break, I got to catch up on some reading. I started the break rereading the financial chapter of Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso. Sophia goes in on spending money on trivial things like shoes and trends when she could be saving for rainy days. And, because things like that happen to the best of us sometimes, I’m here to share my best money-saving tips with you. Now, I’m no financial expert—as a matter of fact, I’m actually really bad with numbers. But I love learning about money: how to acquire it, save it, flip it and reverse it.  Please note I am a part-time retailer and a full-time student working for barely minimum wage, so money is pretty dry around here. But I’m trying my best, and I’m prone to making mistakes. Let’s work on this together.

1.   Mint: Personal Finance & Money app: Mint is a money tracking/budgeting app that has really been kicking my overindulgent butt into shape. It tracks your monthly spending into categories so you can see where each one of your dollars ends up. According to Mint, I spend more than enough money on fast food (typical) and it’s something I’ve been trying to get a handle on since using the app. Mint also helps you plan out your monthly budgeting by breaking down your spending into a pie chart for things like gas, food, rent, shopping and all those other daily dollar-suckers. Checking the app daily is intimidating—trust me, I know—but it’s time to get a hold of your finances, sis.

2.   Depop: This app has been my money-making fairy godmother lately, and I can’t believe I’ve been on this earth so long without her. We’ve all been to Plato’s Closet trying to sell our three-pound bag of clothes for the pocket change they offer. Well, do I have the solution for you! Depop is an app where you can buy and sell new and used clothes with other users. Trust me, people want your old stuff. You can find great deals on items that are still trendy for a discounted price. Depop is focused around making shopping more sustainable: American fashion is fast fashion, and Depop helps close that loop. You can also swap pieces with other users and basically get new clothes for free.

3.   Leave your savings alone: When I got my first job, my mom made it a law in my house that once I put money in my savings account, I wasn’t allowed to touch it unless it was for an emergency or a big purchase I was saving for. Whenever I go shopping and even have the inkling to take money out of my account for an overpriced tee, I think of how that tee is delaying my chance of moving out and believe me—that helps me redirect my priorities in no time.

Although being money smart is much easier said than done, it’s all part of becoming an *~adult~*. I know it’s hard and I know there’s more to it than these three little tips, but it’s a learning process and these steps can help you start.

Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.