Mental Illness Awareness on College Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Mental illness is a subject not talked about openly. The stigma regarding mental illness does nothing to assist people who need the help. With such a large proportion of adults, especially college-aged students reporting periods of depression, feelings of anxiety, and thoughts of suicide, the topic needs to be discussed more openly.

Struggling with a mental illness is not easy. Just like other illnesses, there are good days and bad days. Some days the depression might be too much to get out of bed, or the social anxiety so overwhelming you’re scared to go to class, or the manic high of a bipolar disorder episode keeps you from being focused.

Of the many mental illnesses, the most important thing universally is to be aware. USF offers a free online screening to determine the possibility of a mental health illness. While it does not replace the diagnosis of a professional, if you’re uncertain if you have a mental illness, it can be an exploratory screening.  

Of the 1 in 4 students with a mental illness, 75% are diagnosed before age 24, the prime college-aged years. Untreated mental illnesses are the leading cause of students dropping out of college and never earning their degree. Depression and anxiety are amongst the top two things that interfere with academic success, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Of all of these students, half never sought help.

USF offers help to their students. There are opportunities through the USF Counseling Center to attend individual or group counseling, as well as drop-in workshops. If the Counseling Center gives a referral to see a psychiatrist, that can be done at USF Student Health.  

Mental illness can often be a precursor for something much worse.  Approximately 7% of college aged students report having suicidal thoughts at one point during their college career. Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death amongst college aged students. If you or someone you know is at risk for suicide, please contact the USF Counseling Center (813-974-2831) or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

As a student and a friend, don’t let your fellow Bulls suffer in silence. Talk openly about mental illness and reassure those suffering that they are not alone.

Photo Credits:

http://thedailycougar.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/11/onlinemental-illness-in-college-students-3×5-620×522.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p403x403/1010777_777342585638425_8083355967633618479_n.jpg?oh=4b07b46a859262a69bcc0ff28fd22704&oe=54C6D0A1&__gda__=1421335158_b886f2ccec74a77d5b161c0883f6ad95

http://www.ksno.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/suicide_speak_reach.jpg

I am a sophomore Elementary Education major at USF! My ultimate goal is to teach abroad after I graduate and make quality education more accessible. Otherwise, I am a vegetarian, beginner yogi, curly haired girl who enjoys laughing at her own jokes.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.