Meet A Her Campus Member: Ashley Harnish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Ashley Harnish is a junior here at the University of South Florida and the current Editor’s Assistant for Her Campus USF. This dance major has spent her summer all over Europe, and if you haven’t read her travel blogs, I encourage you to do so!

Her Campus: Why did you join Her Campus? What do you like about it?

Ashley Harnish: I joined Her Campus to get into the field that I’m studying. I also wanted to get more experience in writing. I love that this group of girls have the same interests that I do and it’s easy to relate to each other. I also admire the organization’s goals, like women empowerment.

HC: Where are you originally from?

AH: I was born in Puerto Rico and moved to Kissimmee in 2001 where I grew up.

HC: What are your hobbies and talents?

AH: Im a dancer; I’ve been dancing since I was 3 years old. I like to travel, write, paint and watch movies.

HC: What’s your major and year at USF? What do you want to do with that when you graduate?

AH: I’m entering my junior year and I’m a dance major with a mass communications minor on the magazine track. After I graduate, I want to work at Disney as an entertainer/dancer for about a year, save up and move to a big city like New York City or Miami, depending on what happens in that year.

HC: What brought you to USF?

AH: The diversity – I love how big USF is on diversity. Also the proximity to my house, it’s only 1 hour away, so it’s convenient but still a different city. I also like the multiple study abroad opportunities.

HC: Where’s your favorite place to hang out on campus?

AH: Between Cooper Hall and the Education building because its very shaded and there’s a couple eating options and it’s a populated area so I can see a lot of people.

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?

AH: Italia! I loved living there when I studied abroad this summer. I could really see myself living their lifestyle.. every day.. and I’m italian so it’s perfect!

HC: What is your favorite quote?

AH: “Eat more chicken”… Just kidding, I’m not that big on quotes, but I would say “Not all those wander are lost.”  It applies to me and how I want to travel the world and be lost and find myself at the same time.

HC: Who is your role model?

AH: My mom – she is so strong, so talented and so independent. And after everything she has been through, to be able to be as successful as she is right now… it’s very aspiring. I would love to be as half as great as a mom as she is.

HC: What’s a fun fact about you?

AH: I have the whole Friends series and I’ve seen all the episodes and I know them all by heart!

HC: What advice do you have for incoming freshman?

AH: Try to find out who your roommates are before you room with them. It will make the transition easier. Be careful of what you try to eat at the dining – be smart- because at first everything is like “omg so much food” and after… you’ve gained like 20 pounds. Get involved in at least one organization your first semester. You will be able to meet people and get to know more about yourself. Discovering what you want to be involved with will pave the way for the rest of your college career. College is a different ballpark. Do well in school, but don’t forget it’s college so have fun! If you come from a sheltered home, don’t go too crazy.

Ayla Horan is a Spanish and International Studies major at the University of South Florida. She is the current Vice President and Public Relations Chair for the Beta Gamma Chapter of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. She also represents the study abroad community by serving as a GloBull Ambassador. She loves to travel and doing anything outdoors. In the future she hopes to attend law school and become an immigration lawyer. Her long term goal is to open up a school in Latin America.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.