Meet A Her Campus Member: Amaris Mercado

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Meet Her Campus member, Amaris Mercado. She is a junior at USF and the new Her Campus USF Director of Recruitment and Membership. Learn more about her below!

Her Campus: Why did you join Her Campus? What do you like about it?

Amaris Mercado: I’ve always been interested in Her Campus since my first year at USF. So once I saw an opportunity to join the executive board, I jumped right in. I like that Her Campus talks about relatable things for college girls. HC is definitely a website I visit during my study breaks.

HC: What’s your major? What do you want to do with that when you graduate?

AM: I’m a Bio-Med major with a business and Italian minor. My goal is to become an Optometrist.

HC: Where are you originally from?

AM: I’m Puerto Rican. Born in Houston, Texas and raised in Jacksonville, Florida.

HC: What brought you to USF?

AM: The diversity and programs that USF offers. It’s also not too far from home.

HC: What are your favorite places around USF and the surrounding area? Why?

AM: It’s not too close to USF, but definitely the Soho area. Day or night there’s always stuff to do. I love the vibe.

HC: Tell us one thing on your USF bucket list you have done and one thing you have not done.

AM: Hmm. “Nerd wise” my goal is to graduate Cum Laude. But one cool thing I got to do at USF was be in the homecoming parade.

HC: What organizations are you involved in?

AM: Other than HC, I’m VP of a Spanish org called ENLACE.

HC: Most fulfilling USF event you’ve attended?

AM: Hispanic Heritage Month Kick off. It was a definite eye opener for me in the Latino culture.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?

AM: That’s hard! But I’d have to say Joseph Gordon-Levitt. There’s just something about him.

HC: What/Who do you turn to for inspiration?

AM: My family for sure.

HC: Which of the seven deadly sins are you most guilty of?

AM: Gluttony. My inner fat child loves food.

HC: If you never had to worry about financial security, what job/career would you pursue?

AM: A fashion blogger that travels all over the world and eats the delicacies of all the countries. I know it’s pretty specific.

HC: If you knew the world was ending in 2014, what would you do differently?

AM: Live more in the now.

HC: If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?

AM: Lena from “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.” I love her life in the movie.

HC: What would the title of your autobiography be?

AM: “La Bella Vita.” It means life is beautiful in Italian.

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.