Life in a Living Learning Community at USF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

My freshman year of college at the University of South Florida, I was accepted into a special student group called the Zimmerman Advertising Program. One of the requirements for this program was that I had to live in a Living Learning Community, or LLC. Living Learning Communities are specially designed living spaces that are sectioned off based off majors and interests. Everyone in my LLC, for example, is also a part of my program studying Business Advertising. Living in an LLC has been a rewarding and exciting experience—one I wouldn’t change for anything.

Living Learning Communities provide a truly unique living experience. First and foremost, you’re surrounded by other students studying the same courses as you are. It’s rare that you can’t peek outside your door and see other students helping each other in classes and working on homework together. Many LLCs have mentors and tutors that come into the common area to help, not just with classes, but also future-planning and answering questions about the field.  

Often, due to the specific nature of the LLC, mentors and professionals in the field will provide different activities to help students get more involved, not just with the others that they’re living with, but also within their field. Depending on your LLC, these activities can range from athletic competitions to etiquette dinners, to networking events, to major related workshops.

LLCs are an amazing way to make friends. Because you must be accepted into a program and be related to the subject of the community—whether by major or interest—you’re constantly surrounded by like-minded and driven students. Due to the nature of the LLC, most of the students have common interests and pastimes as well, making it easier to connect with the people around you. 

If you’re considering living in a Living Learning Community, I highly recommend that you do so. The connections you make while living with like-minded peers, plus the academic and field-related help that comes from in-house tutors and mentors, is truly invaluable.

Makenna is a Senior studying Business Advertising at USF. She is the head of Social Media and Marketing for USF, a beauty editorial intern for Nationals, and is also a Brand Ambassador for MyRentHero. On the weekends, you can find her reading advertising books, going on photoshoots, or binge-watching one of the thousand shows she's watching.