Influential Speakers From The Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Women showed up determined to spark change at this year’s Women’s March on Washington rally.

From activists to celebrities, women all came together to defend our rights. With powerful speeches in tow, these women motivated the massive crowd and sparked a change that is so desperately needed.

Here are some excerpts from the speeches at the rally last Saturday:

1. America Ferrera

“Our dignity, our character, our rights have all been under attack and a platform of hate and division assumed power yesterday. But the president is not America. We are America and we are here to stay. We reject the demonization of our Muslim brothers and sisters. We demand an end to the systemic murder and incarceration of our black brothers and sisters. We will not ask our LGBTQ families to go backwards.”

Link to speech: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/womens-march-speeches/

2. Madonna

“Can you hear me? Are you ready to shake up the world? Welcome to the revolution of love. To the rebellion, to our refusal as women to accept this new age of tyranny. Where not just women are in danger, but all marginalized people. It seems as though we all slipped into a false sense of comfort, that justice would prevail and that good would prevail in the end. Well, good did not win this election. But good will win in the end.”

Link to speech: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-madonnas-powerful-speech-at-womens-march-on-washington-w462318

3. Angela Davis

“At a challenging moment in our history, let us remind ourselves that we the hundreds of thousands, the millions of women, trans-people, men and youth who are here at the Women’s March, we represent the powerful forces of change that are determined to prevent the dying cultures of racism, hetero-patriarchy from rising again. No human being is illegal.”

Link to speech: http://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a42337/angela-davis-womens-march-speech-full-transcript/

4. Gloria Steinem

“Thank you for understanding that sometimes we must put our bodies where our beliefs are. Sometimes pressing send is not enough. And this also unifies us with the many in this world who do not have computers or electricity or literacy, but do have the same hopes and the same dreams. I’m not trying to deny the danger that this day initiates. Trump and his handlers have found a fox for every chicken coop in Washington, and a Twitter finger must not become a trigger finger. Some very experienced doctors of the American Psychiatric Association have publicly written to warn us that, and I quote, “His widely reported symptoms of mental instability, including grandiosity, impulsivity, hyper-sensitivity to slights or criticisms, and an apparent inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality, lead us to question his fitness for the immense responsibilities of the office.”

Link to speech: http://www.elle.com/culture/news/a42331/gloria-steinem-womens-march-speech/

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.