How the Power Puff Girls Introduced us to Modern Day Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

If you’re a 90s fiend like myself, than a staple part of your childhood would have to have been television. Now I’m not saying children back then we’re as glued to technology like they are today, with the average toddler being able to operate an iPad, but television was definitely one of the “go-tos” when mom called us inside from the concrete jungle (playground) or intense heat that accompanied a game of “cops and robbers”.  One show that definitely stuck out would have to have been “Power Puff Girls”. With its easy humor, colorful graphics and unique heroes (and villains), it’s no wonder boys and girls alike were transfixed by the three known as Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup.

In hindsight there were many important ideals that could have been pulled from the show, however one that I think the producers were very subtle about introducing would be how all three of the girls stood for different facets of what it meant to be a girl and shied away from the normal female archetype.

From here sweet demeanor and love for the softer things in life, including the color light blue, Bubbles represented the side of a woman who was never one to shy away from being comfortable in her own emotions and complete femininity. She always helped bring out the compassion in others, as well as herself, which attributed to the other girl’s success towards proper communication as it related to their interaction with others. Though at times her gentle behavior was seen as a weakness, there was great strength found in her ability to know when her input on a situation was needed and when it wasn’t, leading to others in her own family learning that sometimes the best thing to say, isn’t anything at all.

With her logical view of reading situations and innate talent at delegating duties, there was no doubt that Blossom was her name incarnate. The producers used her as their mold to show that she was the aspect of a girl who would never be afraid to take charge and be head strong; rather she would thrive or “bloom” in situations that where she was most apprehensive and initially uncertain. Not only was this evident in the subtle fiery detail of her red hair, but also in her capacity to read situations from every view and then coming to a way to properly execute that final call. Not to be confused with the first one phoned in from Mr. Mayor that would ring from the cute telephone perched on their bedside table. Foolish would be the person to call her bossy since she was never one to belittle or condemn the views of others even when they would conflict with her own.

From the slight raspy undertones in her voice, to her ability to always find a way to rip her dress, Buttercup was never conformed to what society had planned for her. Fist clenched and head strong, she always made her own views known when it came to daily activities and tasks. Though she sometimes was viewed as the “odd one out” when traveling with her two sisters, it didn’t make her see herself as being any less of a girl.  This being an excellent model for the other girls who found their dresses ripped and shoes scuffed at the end of the day to never let that shy away from being unapologetically themselves.

Perhaps the most important idea that the producers slipped in was that, just like how there isn’t one certain way to “be a girl”, no sister could exist without the other. As different as they were, it was only when they were all working together that they were able to accomplish something truly remarkable. Hinting at the ultimate strength of a girl being her own ability to be superhero when she was able to embrace all of the intricate details and complexities of herself. A theme that was common not just in Power Puff Girls, but other 90s shows as well, i.e. What’s New Scooby Doo, Rugrats, and Totally Spies. Can someone call up Cartoon network and suggest a re-run already? 

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.