How to Adult: Saving Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Ah, college. The place we go to ensure we make bank later in life, but where we ultimately spend our whole paycheck on textbooks and Chipotle. Being young, we get so excited about our newfound freedom that our money feels like it’s burning holes in our pockets. Unfortunately…

source

There’s nothing more responsible and adultlike than having the things you need with a little money to spare, so read on for tips and tricks for saving your money.

1. Use Coupons and Rewards Programs 

source

No one wants to be the person at Publix going through all her coupons at the cash register, holding up the line for everyone else. Most grocery stores offer online couponing, where you “clip” coupons online, and give your phone number at the register, where the coupons that apply go through and the money is directly taken out of your total.

Rewards programs are also a huge saver. Drugstores like Walgreens and CVS have rewards programs where you accrue points with every purchase and once you reach a certain number of points, you’re rewarded, usually with a free item or actual dollars off your purchase. Restaurants, movie theaters, and more have rewards programs. Get Googling, and sign up for rewards programs at your favorite stores.

2. Take Advantage of Student Discounts

source

We know that many movie theaters have student discounts, but check out other local hotspots to see if you can score a discount with your student ID. Apple has an amazing discount if you give your .edu email address when purchasing their products, up to $200 off a Mac and up to $20 off an iPad! At USF, any establishment with a BULLS COUNTRY flag or sign will usually give a student discount.

3. Cut Your Electricity Bill 

source

If you live off campus, electric overages can be the worst. Save electricity by unplugging any electronic not in use. Toaster? Unplug it. Phone charger? Unplug it. Also, hot water and central heating sucks energy like a vacuum, so try shorter, cooler showers (it’s better for your hair and skin!) and the next time you have the urge to turn up the heat, throw on a pair of socks and comfy sweats before you turn on the heater.

4. Open a Savings Account 

source

Open a savings account, put your money in there, and save until a bigger, planned purchase (like a new computer or desk) or you have an emergency (and no, fashion emergencies don’t count!). Savings accounts accrue interest, so the longer you leave your money untouched, the more money you’ll have.

source

Cera is a junior at the University of South Florida currently majoring in Women and Gender Studies. She has an on-campus job as a receptionist and is the Editor-in-Chief of the USF Her Campus Chapter. Her goals and aspirations after graduation include graduate school, teaching English abroad, teaching at the university level, writing novels, and adopting every dog. 
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.