Culture > News

“Herstory” with Her Campus USF: Women’s History Month 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Since 1987, the United States has observed Women’s History Month throughout the month of March. The month is a celebration of women’s contributions in history, culture and society and the National Women’s History Project has declared this year’s theme is Nevertheless, She Persisted.

The phrase gained popularity in February 2017, after Senator Elizabeth Warren, D-MA, was silenced during the confirmation session of Jeff Sessions to the appointment of Attorney General. During the session, Warren was reading a speech written by Coretta Scott King. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-KY, said “Senator Warren was giving a lengthy speech. She had appeared to violate the rule. She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless,  she persisted.”

Photo: Pinterest

The 2018 Women’s History Month theme is important as women continue to fight against sexism, discrimination and other forms of gender inequality.

Her Campus USF is celebrating with “Herstory,” by writing articles about the accomplishments of women in the areas of science, the arts, and activism and politics. Additionally, March 8 is recognized as International Women’s Day. During the week of March 5 to March 9, HCUSF will publish articles about the contributions of women around the world.

“Confidence, strength, independence and women’s empowerment are some of the things I think of when Her Campus comes to mind,” said Brianna Felder, a Her Campus USF writer. “All the women in our club embody these characteristics. So it’s no surprise we would be celebrating Women’s History Month here. I’m super excited to be apart of it and to contribute an article that’ll showcase another strong woman in history.”

Other writers agree that celebrating women’s history is an exciting experience.

“I love that we are celebrating Women’s History Month because it’s part of who we are as an organization- strong, smart and capable women,” said Christina Schreiber, a fellow HCUSF writer. “It’s humbling to be able to celebrate the women who came before us and made it possible for us to do what we do.”

“Herstory” with Her Campus USF was an idea to share women’s stories from the female perspective. This month’s articles will highlight women’s unspoken achievements abroad, artistically, scientifically and socially.

Her Campus USF hopes the content produced over the next month is inspiring and educating to every woman at USF. Additionally, the chapter will also have plenty of events and activities going on in celebration of Women’s History Month.

Updates will be posted to the website and on social media. Follow Her Campus USF at @hercampususf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

I began at Her Campus USF as a writer in Spring 2017. Then, served as Senior Editor in Fall 2017 and currently serve as the Editor-in-Chief. I am passionate about writing, social media, and graphic design. I am a portrait photographer and a self-proclaimed makeup junkie. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @cc_red13 to connect!
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.