Epcot Celebrates 35 Years of Innovation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

On Sunday, October 1, Walt Disney World’s Epcot will celebrate its 35th anniversary. Since Epcot’s opening, the park has seen new attractions, festivals and a name change, but its dedication to celebrating culture and advancements in technology has always remained the same.

Epcot opened to the public on October 1, 1982 as EPCOT Center, inspired by Walt Disney’s original concept for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. His original proposal placed EPCOT Center at the core of Disney World, aiming for it to function as a city. A concept model for this vision can be seen at Magic Kingdom within the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover attraction.

While there are no residential areas within present-day Epcot, the park is home to World Showcase, where pavilions for 11 countries illustrate architectural, atmospheric and notable cuisine from the specific country’s culture. The other half of the park is dedicated to Future World, which focuses on innovative technological advancements. 

To commemorate 35 years, Epcot will be holding an anniversary celebration at the Fountain View stage at 10:01 a.m., as well as a custom finale to their nightly spectacular, IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at 9 p.m. An exclusive “I Was There” merchandise collection will also be available in the park on October 1. 

Guests will also be able to enjoy three specialty cupcakes from The Land Pavilion, Fountain View and the Norway Pavilion, each themed to their location. The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival is also in full swing, so everyone enjoying the celebration will have plenty of food and beverage options to enjoy.