Embodying Values: Business Behind Sorority Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

When you first think of a sorority, you may think of the sisterhood and community work associated with the organization. People may not understand the leadership involved with making each chapter run smoothly until you take a closer look at the contribution done by its members.

Allison Kuhn is not only a sister of a Panhellenic sorority, but also is their police enforcement. Kuhn’s official title is Vice President of Standards. Her responsibilities include policy enforcement and managing official paperwork for the chapter. Kuhn joined the organization in fall 2015 and has been actively involved in her sorority since joining.

“I do like my organization,” Kuhn said. “I want to better it and do my part.”

After starting off as a committee member for a year, Kuhn decided to become Vice President of Standards.  She explained that after being a part of standards chair she was recommended for the position. Her position as the chapter’s police often comes with stressful situations and difficult decisions. Kuhn works closely with the chapter president, Stephanie Swisher.

“Her position is often referred to as the police as a joke but really she just makes sure the chapter stays safe,” said Swisher.

As the sororital police, Kuhn has the responsibility of keeping up with paperwork and managing emails. Along with these tasks, she has the role of risk management chair which ensures protocols are being met during socials.

“If I don’t get paperwork done in time, people continue to get billed dues,” Kuhn said regarding her duties.

During one formal event, Kuhn was encountered with a difficult situation when monitoring the behavior at a social. The date of one of Kuhn’s sorority sisters had been caught underage drinking, yet when Kuhn addressed the issue with them, it resulted in an uproar.

“It wasn’t fun when I’m trying to enjoy my time and I have to talk to her and get yelled at,” Kuhn said about the incident.

Under the circumstances, she was obligated to ask the couple to leave. While her and the sister she had the confrontation with are friends to this day, Kuhn stated that these difficult decisions occur often because of her job.  Since Kuhn has become Vice President of Standards, the chapter has seen the positive impact Kuhn has on her sisters. Snow White, one of Kuhn’s sisters, believes she has made a positive impact on their sorority.

“It’s made things challenging trying to be in charge of those who she considers her peers,” White said, “But those who are really her friends know that she just wants to make sure … is the best it can be.”

When searching for job in the Public Relations field, Kuhn hopes that the leadership skills she’s developed will help her during job interviews.

“I see it as me using my skills to help, even if it is hard at times,” Kuhn said.

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.