This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Collegiettes™, coming out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community is a very serious experience and is different for everyone. Not everyone has the opportunity to come out because of safety reasons, lack of support, or fear of repercussions.

For me, coming out in college was a big decision and I am so glad that I did! As a “well-known” student on campus due to being involved in many things such as student organizations, a sorority, and two on campus jobs, I was terrified of my identity. I was scared of claiming my sexuality at the risk of losing everything. What would my family and friends think? What would my sorority sisters and Greek community think? Would my jobs on campus care?

I finally couldn’t take it anymore and began to subtly own my sexuality and casually tell those close to me through everyday conversation. That wasn’t enough though. I eventually decided to formally come out on Facebook where everyone could see and it would be out of my control. I was lucky enough to be greeted by so much love and support from those associated with all aspects of my life.

Coming out in college can be the best decision for so many reasons. Most people go away for college, which gives them the opportunity to be away from family and somewhat financially support themselves. This provides a safety net in case anything does go wrong. College tends to be a great place full of diversity and new experiences. Plus, people are a lot more accepting and open. Not to mention, sexuality flourishes in college. What better time than now to experiment and solidify one’s identity and preferences?

Most college campuses have student organizations for the LGBTQ+ community that provide a safe space and a way to get involved. Chances are, you will meet others with similar experiences. College is so fast paced and feels like an entirely separate entity from the rest of the world. Gossip doesn’t really matter anymore though. It isn’t high school anymore. College campuses that receive federal funding have to operate by Title IX standards which protects against sexual harassment. Therefore, if something were to happen such as discrimination from university staff or professors, you could file a Title IX complaint. Coming out can introduce you to new people and new places, followed by new experiences and memories.

Being out in college has given me a greater experience than had I decided not to come out publicly to everyone. Each person will have their own unique experience, but I have never felt more free and empowered. I have claimed every aspect of my sexuality and live my life accordingly. I encourage others to do so, but only if it is safe to do so. I recognize that my experiences with my identity and coming out is one that most people are not lucky enough to get. I am so extremely lucky to be safe enough to have these experiences and be met with support and love in return. If you are able to come out in college, I hope you experience is as blessed as mine is.

There are many available resources at USF such as the P.R.I.D.E. Alliance student organization and the Counseling Center if you need to talk to someone. Be sure to check out Her Campus’ LGBTQ+ section too! 

Photo Credits:

http://newscenter.sdsu.edu/sdsu_newscenter/news.aspx?s=73183

USF student that is entirely too involved. Perpetually embarrassed, still pretty cool.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.