This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Super Bowl LI is in the books and the commercials have to be half of all viewers favorite part of the game. While companies are typically expected to put together their best and most funny ads Audi decided to make a statement against the inequality and unfair pay of women in the workforce.

Audi Daughter commercial

Audi’s commercial which depicts a young girl at a boxcar derby event with all boys, shows her father questioning himself how he would explain to his daughter that because she is a girl she will be worth less than the man she marries and her value will never amount up to a man’s regardless of her education. While the daughter is maneuvering through the boys in the race with her skills and wit, she ends up finishing in first place. The girl’s father wants to be able to tell his daughter something different. Audi closes the commercial with the statement:

“Audi of America is committed to equal work for equal pay.”

Audi has recognized the amount of inequality women are still receiving even though it is 2017. In the 20th century women were earning 60% of what men were for doing the same amount and line of work, since then the gap has closed to closer to 80% since 2014 and has remain unchanged.

According to Linda Babcock, author of “The High Cost of Avoiding Negotiation–and Positive Strategies for Change” only 30% of women negotiate salary pay compared to 46% of men. While only 39% men are apprehensive about negotiating, 55% of women are apprehensive. Besides the inequality, the lack of wanting to negotiate is the biggest barrier for women in earning as much as men.

The lack of negotiating is due to the feeling that women will feel naggy, intrusive, and less like a team player. According to Hannah Riley Bowles of Harvard Business Review, “It is good advice for any negotiator – male or female — to ask for what they want in terms that their counterparts will perceive as legitimate and mutually beneficial. But for women, it is especially helpful because it unburdens them from the social costs of self-advocating.”

By becoming better educated and self-aware of our right to negotiate and evaluate, the wage gap will hopefully be closed soon rather than much much later. 

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.