Actually She Can

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

On September 30th, USF Her Campus hosted its first event of the semester, Actually She Can. Out of more than 270 chapters, USF was one of two schools chosen for this event, and it was a unique opportunity for all who attended. It featured four inspiring and successful women, who came to discuss what it means to be an empowered woman in the 21st century.

Actually She Can is a movement specifically designed to empower millennial women and help them transition from college to career, in a partnership with Her Campus Media. It brought a panel of four notably, yet diversely successful women together to speak with USF students about being a strong, empowered, and successful woman.

Annie Wang, Co-Founder and Creative Director of Her Campus Media, led the discussion. The events leading up to her success included an education at Harvard University, where she designed websites for clubs and organizations across campus before taking on the task of co-creating Her Campus.

Jennifer Walsh, Founder of Pride and Glory, a company that creates collegiate beauty products, as well as an enduring beauty expert and makeup artist, was present at the panel. Walsh discussed some of the many facets of her career in beauty, from “holding the tray for the makeup artist” to appearing on television selling beauty products, to founding Beauty Bar, to her current endeavor as the founder of Pride and Glory.

Kristin McGee, a celebrity yoga instructor also appeared to discuss female empowerment, citing her career in the male dominated fitness industry before yoga was popular amongst the masses. McGee, who originally went to school for acting at NYU, talked about how her education in theater, particularly using her breath, helped facilitate her fitness career, going on to become certified to teach yoga before it was trendy.

Laura Brounstein, Special Events Director of Cosmopolitan Magazine, has also had a varied career. She discussed her career at Self Magazine before making the transition to Cosmopolitan. She held a position in public relations before becoming the Special Projects Director, where she has created events such as Fun Fearless Life.

Continuing with the theme of inspiring women, one of the most powerful statements of the night was made by Wang. She said when it comes to being discouraged, “When you’re doing a good job, it kind of shuts them down.” This was easily exemplified by McGee, who told anecdotes of being discriminated against in the fitness industry by men before impressing them with her pull-ups in the gym.

“If I don’t do it, someone else will,” said Walsh of Pride and Glory “everyone doubted me.”

Along with gender discrimination, the panelists spoke of women supporting each other. Brounstein gushed about how nice and encouraging the other panelists were when they met, proving that just a simple compliment from one woman to another can go a long way.

After the main discussion, audience members were given the opportunity to ask their own questions. Many students asked for college advice, and all panelists agreed that interning was vital. Others asked about how to build their own brand brand, and women to watch for in upcoming years. One of those women was Whitney Wolfe, founder of Bumble- a dating app where women have to make the first move, setting a new and refreshing tone for online dating. 

Overall, the message of the evening was that despite obstacles and discrimination, these inspiring women were able to achieve their goals, gain notoriety, and finding something that “sets your spirit on fire.” They inspired the young women who attended to follow their dreams, pursuit their passions and never let anybody or anything get in their way- especially sexism and gender inequality. It was surely an event to remember, and a step in the right direction towards womens equality. 

Photo Credits: Jordon Myers

Cera is a junior at the University of South Florida currently majoring in Women and Gender Studies. She has an on-campus job as a receptionist and is the Editor-in-Chief of the USF Her Campus Chapter. Her goals and aspirations after graduation include graduate school, teaching English abroad, teaching at the university level, writing novels, and adopting every dog. 
Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.