6 Reasons Why Living in Your Sorority House is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

1. Sisters will feed you (for free)

Whether is be free pizza or taco bell after a fun night out, or spending time with the sister who should have her own cooking show, living in the house guarantees free food. There are constantly sisters cooking in the kitchen, whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, desert, 4th meal or 5th meal. I once had two sisters make me a snack pack for the library because I am essentially in kindergarten.

2. You get 30 new wardrobes.

Have you ever seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants? It could have been based on living in a sorority house. Don’t have anything to wear on that hot date? Sister’s closet. No classy clothes for an important interview coming up? Sister’s closet. Literally no idea what to wear to that themed social with thatcutie that you’ve been eyeing all semester? Sister’s closet. Whether it’s shoes, jewelry, dresses or ugly christmas sweaters, there will be a sister who has it in your size.

2. You get full house amenities without living in a residence hall.

Don’t get me wrong, living in a residence hall my freshman year was one of the best experiences I could have gotten in college. However, having to share a bathroom with strangers and having to put pants on to go to your public kitchen really sucks sometimes. Luckily, living in the sorority house means I get a full kitchen, living room, bathroom, and laundry room all to myself (and 30 sisters). This also means I’m still on campus, so we’re close to classes and the library. Another upside: pants are optional.

3. There will always be someone awake. ALWAYS.

Whether you are a night owl, like myself, or an early bird, there will always be a sister awake to keep you company. You might want to watch scary movies until 4 A.M or you might want to wake up at 7 A.M to attempt to go to the gym, and a sister will always be awake. Of course, there are quiet hours that need to implemented, but do we really follow them? Sure. 

4. You’ll never be bored on the weekend.

There’s nothing wrong with not wanting to go out and have a good time, but when you do not feel up to going out, there will always be sisters who are down to chill in the living room and watch tv. On the other side, though, there will always be a group of sisters who want to go out as well.

5. You get a live-in therapist.

This one is pretty self explanatory. There will always be a sister you can go to at 3 A.M when that really cute guy was totally flirting with that really pretty girl and you just happened to see it after an already emotional day and you’re totally way better than her and he is just totally a jerk but you can’t stop crying but you’re makeup looked so great so it makes you even more sad. There’s a sister for that. 

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.