The 6 Life Lessons I Learned From Watching Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Fast paced dialogue, colorful characters, and a quirky storybook town set the scene for all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls. Since the age of twelve I have hunkered down every summer and watched every eccentric episode of this pop culture blessing. Recently I have spread my addiction to my friends and family and the results are conclusive: Gilmore Girls is a girl’s bible for life! Mother- daughter relationships, falling for bad boys, and an oh-so relatable coffee addiction make Gilmore Girls a one of a kind. Reluctantly narrowing it down to six, here are some of the most important life lessons I learned from binge watching Gilmore Girls an embarrassingly amount of times. 

1. Coffee is life sustaining.

“Coffee, coffee, coffee!” Morning, day, or night coffee is just as important as oxygen, if not more…am I right?! Lorelei Gilmore shamelessly teaches Gilmore Girls’ viewers that coffee should be given through an IV at least five times a day. God forbid we don’t get our coffee dose for the day and have a break down in the therapist’s office like Rory. 

2. Never be afraid to take a leap of faith.

Never be afraid to tell someone you love them, take a spontaneous road trip, or even jump off a tower with nothing but a waist cinch and an umbrella. Yikes! It may seem scary to veer outside our comfort zones, but in the end we’ll be better for it. Who knows, maybe you’ll end up with a hot blonde!

3. School first, boys last.

If Rory has taught me anything, it’s to always put your academics and career first. Often during 2a.m. cram sessions I have to pump myself up into a “Rory Gilmore mind set”.  She is ivy- league smart and flaunts as only Rory could do on “Reading is sexy” t-shirts. Rory is the ultimate spirit animal for any girl looking to be successful and put sexism to shame.

4. Best friends are always there for you, even when you make stupid decisions.

Rory and Lane are ultimate best friend goals. Despite distance and being raised in polar opposite households, they friendship never fails. Even when they are arguing with their mothers or dying their hair an obnoxious shade of purple, Rory and Lane prove that true best friends stick by each other no matter the obstacle.

5. Mother knows best, usually.

By far the most important lesson I learned from years of Gilmore Girls is that our moms are our best friends. They have all the answers and are always by our side; even when we go months without talking to them and return home in one the most emotional episodes, tear. Mothers can also make mistakes though and its ok, they’re humans too. Although her logic was slightly skewed at times, Lorelei gifts Rory and binge watchers with invaluable advice.

6. Eating is actually a sport.

Pizza, candy, popcorn, and pop tarts: the four main food groups of any true Gilmore Girl. Eating vast amounts of candy is the only way to watch Willy Wonka and ordering food from every ethnicity is a great way to connect with your new college floor mates! Eating like this doesn’t just happen though, it takes years of training!

If you haven’t been watching Gilmore Girls, and are obviously deprived of other fabulous aspects of life, pop a bag of buttery popcorn and start watching! Your life is about to change.

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.