Career > Her20s

5 Ways to Make Money When You’re Searching for Your First Job After College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Don’t feel discouraged if you can’t find a job immediately after college.

A 2017 Gallup study showed that among bachelor degree grads from 2002 to 2016, only 27% secured a good job after graduation. So what are the other 73% of grads supposed to do until they find a position relevant to their field?

The good news is there are tons of other ways you can make money while you’re busy applying to jobs and going on interviews. These five methods are flexible enough that you can focus on the job hunt and still make decent money.

1. Pick Up a Side Gig

While it might not be glamorous to resort to a not-so-permanent side job right out of college, it’s a good way to make extra cash. A couple of my favorites were babysitting and pet sitting.

I joined Care.com and found a family in my area that I babysat for on the weekends. I actually still babysit for them years later, even though I recently graduated and have a full-time job.

Photo: Carmen Mandato/The Penny Hoarder

I found my second gig while I was an editorial intern at a local media company. I overheard a few coworkers mention they needed a pet sitter while they were away on vacation, so I volunteered to watch them myself! Once I got some experience around the office, I became the go-to pet sitter for a few coworkers, and even some of my parents’ coworkers.

You don’t have to rely on coworkers to find a good pet-sitting gig: See what’s available in your area on sites like Rover, Care.com or Wag.

2. Start Freelancing

Build a portfolio of your work and start applying to freelance or remote jobs. For example, if you’re entering a field that involves writing, create a site and list your articles, and include the link to it on your resume. If you don’t have any published bylines yet, start a blog.

Maybe your line of work doesn’t have any freelance jobs available — that’s fine too! Take this time to keep learning, and build up your personal skill set and experience. Find a free or cheap online course and keep an eye on industry trends.

3. Sell Your Stuff

Do you have a closet full of clothes still sitting in your parents’ house? What about electronics or textbooks you won’t use again? Anything that’s not of use to you anymore can be turned into cash.

Photo: Tina Russell/The Penny Hoarder

Join second-hand clothing apps like Poshmark or Mercari and list anything you don’t wear anymore. For textbooks you weren’t able to sell back to the campus bookstore, type their ISBN numbers into Bookscouter. This site lets you compare offers from different vendors and helps you get the biggest payout.

Aside from snapping a few iPhone photos, these methods are pretty low maintenance Check out even more lazy ways to earn money.

4. Teach Kids Online

Sites like VIPKid and QKids pay college grads to teach English to children overseas. You’ll be an English as a second language (ESL) teacher, and could earn up to $20 per hour, depending on the company.  

Most companies provide you with their lesson plan, so it requires minimal pre-planning on your part. Being an online ESL teacher is a great way to earn money on the side in addition to another job, or could even supplement a full-time income.

5. Work as a Part-Time Intern

If you didn’t have an internship in college, there’s no shame in looking for one after graduation! Having a relevant internship can boost your chances at getting a job in your field. (You could go from intern to salaried employee, too, which is what happened to me!)

Take advantage of your school’s career services center for resume help, and potentially even score some free headshots. I went to USFSP, and they had a school job board where I found my internship and quite a few jobs. See if your school has a job board you can utilize, even after graduation.

Like I mentioned earlier, don’t feel disappointed if you don’t have that perfect job lined up right out of college. There are still productive ways to spend your time and make money while you’re at it. And once you start making money, you can create a debt payoff plan and start chipping away at those student loans!

I recently graduated USF St. Pete with a degree in marketing and international business. After an amazing editorial internship, I got hired as a full-time staffer at The Penny Hoarder -- one of the largest personal finance sites. I'm now a writer/SEO specialist for them, working on optimizing content and writing new content. I love writing about personal finance topics, especially ways others can save and make extra money.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.