stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Improve Your Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

1.   Drink water first thing in the morning: We all know that water is good for you, but drinking water when you wake up is said to have multiple health benefits, from giving you energy to boosting your metabolism. Before you sit down for your cup of coffee, chug a glass or two of room temperature water—you’ll feel more awake, energized and you’re doing your body a big favor. 

2.   Go more natural: I’m not just talking about food, I’m talking about you! Even though many make-up products say “gentle” or “clean and easy,” a lot of them still contain chemicals that don’t belong on your face. Take a day to go all natural.

I know you may think you look like the grim reaper, but you don’t, you are beautiful. So, give your skin a break from all those powders, liquids, creams, and just breathe. 

3.   Mediate: Do you have racing thoughts? Is it hard for you to sit still? Does the thought of sitting down in silence and not moving for ten minutes sound like hell to you? Then you need to meditate!

If you’re normally a fast-paced person with impulsive thoughts, meditation will be difficult for you, which is why you need to do it.

Meditating isn’t “doing nothing:” it’s taking the time to listen to your body. When you meditate, take the time to focus on parts of the body that you normally ignore—this is why yoga and meditation normally go hand-in-hand. Take ten minutes out of your day to listen to what your body is telling you, both physically and mentally. 

4.   Wake up early: Stressed out? Stress is “a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances.” I’m pretty positive that this thing called life is a pretty “demanding circumstance.” College students are responsible for balancing school, work, relationships, mental health, physical health, finances, and a billion other things. It’s only natural for us to get stressed out when trying to balance all those things in one day. Try waking up an hour earlier than you normally would for one week and see what happens. I’m not even suggesting that you to wake up early to go to the gym, study or work; just wake up early and use that time for you. 

5.   Floss: Just do it. Or your dentist will yell at you.  

Senior at the University of South Florida Studying Psychology and Communication with a concentrate in family relations.