4 Ways to Spend Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Spring break is a time to unwind from the hectic mid-semester and forget about all of your problems for a week. Now, ordinarily, people spend their spring breaks at a beach partying it up or in a nightclub drinking. These are both fine options but these are also things you can do on any Friday night. We should all be doing things we wouldn’t normally do so we can really say we had a memorable spring break. These four things are just a few options of new things to do during spring break.

Go on a road trip

There is nothing better than grabbing a few great friends and just driving away. There are so many places in America that you can experience and even though a week isn’t nearly long enough, you can fit in some spectacular views in the few places you are able to see. I think some of the best road trips are the ones that go to places that are off the beaten path so take advantage and see some new things. So grab some friends, fill up the tank, grab a GPS or map and head on out.

Be brave and adventurous

A week of freedom is the perfect time to go out and try something you’ve never dreamed you could do. Go out zip lining, bungee jumping, sky diving, anything you’ve ever been afraid to do so when you are older, you won’t look back and say “I really should have done that when I had the chance.” Being in Florida, there are a number of things you can find to try out.

Explore your town

Not enough money to have a full blown road trip or to fly down to Cancun for the spring? That doesn’t mean you have to have a boring spring break, you just need to adapt to your financial status. There is so much you probably haven’t seen in your own “back yard” because you are busy cramming for exams or doing last-minute papers. Take advantage of your free time and go around to the different places around your hometown. There are bound to be shops, food, and culture you’ve never seen before that you can explore and potentially fall in love with.

Travel somewhere you’ve never been

You can always spend spring break experiencing other places around the world. Whether it’s the Grand Canyon or Las Vegas, take this spring break and turn it into a mini vacation in another part of the world! I recommend hopping on a cruise because then you can really see different places.

So if you really want to take this spring break and turn it into something other than just never ending partying and drinking, these four things can really get you on your way to experiencing something new and exciting. Of course, parties sound very fun, but if you ask me, I would definitely rather do something new and exciting. Besides, partying is something I can do on any given weekend.

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.