3 DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

It’s that time of year again: it starts to get a bit cooler outside, and we’re standing in line waiting for pumpkin spice lattes. There are so many fun things to do in fall like going to a carnival, watching scary movies, and dressing up for Halloween. This is one of my favorite times of year— but, let’s be honest, I don’t like paying $60 (or more!) on a Halloween costume. 

Why pay that much money to wear a costume for a few hours on one night of the year? Personally, I don’t want to pay that much: I’d rather save that money for bills. Instead, I’d rather make my costume or buy regular clothes and create my own.

Photo from Creative Commons

People who are great at arts and crafts can make costumes that look amazing. I have to hand it to them, because I can’t do that at all. I go on Pinterest and get ideas of what I can be, or I go on YouTube and follow tutorials. YouTube is great and can provide easy steps to follow for a scary or creative costume. 

One way you can find a costume is to Google something you might want to be and see what pops up. Maybe you already have the clothes to make a costume! Another quick DIY is taking a sports uniform or a costume you had in a play and dressing up as that for Halloween. 

There are so many cool ideas you can do for Halloween while staying in your budget. Whatever you decide to be for Halloween, just own it and have a fun time dressing up.

Here’s my three favorite DIY costume ideas:

Photo from walmart.com

1.   A black cat: a classic Halloween look! Pick up this Black Cat Ear and Tail Halloween Accessory set from Walmart.com for less than $11 plus shipping. Pair with black leggings and a cute top to complete the look.

Photo from Creative Commons

2.   A nerd costume: it’s relatively easy to put together with basic clothing items. Pick up a white collared shirt, suspenders, black shorts, black knee-high socks and sneakers. Throw your hair up in pigtails, add some horn-rimmed glasses and a bow tie to accessorize.

Photo from Creative Commons

3.   Risky Business girls: Slide into this costume from the Tom Cruise film, Risky Business! Pick up a large white button up shirt, boxer shorts and some mid-calf socks to finish the outfit.

What’s your favorite costume DIY? Let me know in the comments!

Writer for Her Campus at USF. Mass Comm. major at USF. Dream job to work for Cosmopolitan in New York.