Superdry USA President: Michael Martens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Founded in the U.K. in 2003, Superdry introduced a unique take on fashion by fusing Japanese inspired graphics and American vintage.  The clothing brand, now with more than 30 stores all over the world, quickly established itself as a cutting-edge clothing brand that allows individuals to look effortlessly cool.  Since expanding to the US, the brand has been spotted on a number of celebrities such as Bradley Cooper, Zac Efron, and Anna Faris.  Her Campus USC had the amazing opportunity to snag a quick interview with Superdry USA’s president Michael Martens.

HC: What was it about Japan that had such an influential impact on Superdry USA?
MM: James Holder and Julian Dunkerton created Superdry in 2003 following an inspirational trip to Tokyo. The brand humbly started with 5 men’s tee shirts and has since grown to international recognition, now being sold globally in over 30 countries with over 100 stand alone stores. The Japanese influence is most seen in our logo that features Japanese characters, but also in our high impact graphics and colors, inspired by Japanese street fashion. For example, one of our classic styles, the OSAKA 6 tee, is influenced not only by the city, but also features bold graphics and bright fun colors.

HC: What does an average day as the president of Superdry USA look like?

MM: Every day is a balancing act of solving the day-to-day issues while spending enough time planning and strategizing for the future. Our team has been growing so I have been spending more time working on our future retail expansion and wholesale strategy. We have some very exciting things in the works. I love that every day is different. I come into work every day with a new set of challenges and opportunities. It’s about solving the challenges, learning from them, and working to maximize the opportunities. 

HC: How would you say being an international brand has worked to the brand’s advantage in terms of inspiring new looks?

MM: With Superdry’s unique esthetic of British tailoring, Japanese-inspired graphics, and vintage Americana feel, the product is ever evolving and changing. Each season we offer fresh takes on some of our signature styles. The Superdry design team stays true to their influences but always pushes the design, resulting in outstanding and evolving product season after season. 

HC: How would you describe your personal style and what are you currently inspired by in terms of fashion?

MM: My personal style puts comfort first—I am at heart a jeans and tee kinda guy. Our office atmosphere is very relaxed as is our dress code. You usually can catch me in jeans, a tee, a woven and one of our great outerwear pieces.

After crawling around Honolulu, Hawaii as a toddler, exploring various cultures in Singapore as an elementary schooler, and roaming the exciting streets of Seoul, Korea as a teenager, Nicole finally made her way to the University of Southern California. Currently a junior Communication major, she's still trying to figure out what exactly it is she wants to do, but is looking to someday be involved with a career that will allow her to incorporate her love for writing, fashion, and the entertainment business. In her downtime, she loves to read blogs, eat sweets, embrace her inner shopaholic, watch movies, swoon over Mad Men, and laugh it up with her friends.