Night Life at USC: 5 Primetime Places

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Revered and admired as one of the top “partying” schools, and located in the dirty, yet conveniently urban heart of Los Angeles, nightlife is what every USC student thrives on. With Downtown, Hollywood, Santa Monica and that less attractive Los Angeles school just a ride on the 10 freeway away, the options seem limitless. It’s hard to know what to choose as you contemplate your weekend outfits. (And as we all know, picking that crucial Saturday night outfit is somewhat easier when you know your evening destination). What kind of party are you looking for? Let’s narrow it down for you.

1.     The Row – While recent incidents have deemed this social center a little less poppin’ then usual, you can usually still find a good party Wednesday-Saturday night. Literally a small neighborhood (or cesspool, depending on your mood) devoted to theme parties and Costco beer, this is your safest bet if you want a foolproof way to grind it out to Fetty Wap remixes and the odd throwback song (Come On Eileen, original cut, played at TKE after the USC-Washington State game. That is all.) But If you’re just dying to bust out that school girl uniform for “CEOS and office hoes” and you’re looking for a boy who has recently bought out the tank collections at both American Apparel and Abercrombie, look no further. The Row is your place. Criteria: you must be able to consume wild amounts of alcohol — often blue, and in a bag — in a very short time period, and have multiple costume options prepared. These boys do not understand the care, attention to detail, and the Amazon Prime abuse that goes into planning the perfect Frost or Academy Look. So, you never know when a brother could spontaneously decide to switch that schoolgirl theme you were so ready for to an early 2000s throw back. Better have a Britney fit on back up.

2.     Clubbing – Everyone knows that the clubbing scene in Los Angeles can’t really rival that of its east coast counterpart, NYC, but if you need a classic “Ended Up at One Oak” flick for the insta, you know where to go. Typically, LA turns off its lights at midnight (gotta be up for that Vinyasa Flow and the Kreation Juice kick). This early-to-bed, early-to-ride policy is something that baffles New Yorkers, and the rest of the country for that matter. However, there are a few un-missable spots in Los Angeles that will quench your thirst for $13 dollar drinks, bartering with a bouncer, and dancing on raised platforms until the night has gotten away! The naive LA transplant might head to the Westside, but as all the locals know, Santa Monica dies at 10pm, people. And no, the bright lights at the end of the pier do NOT signal parties. Instead, try West Hollywood, the notoriously raunchy, showy area famous for its Gay Pride and late night snack options. The Nice Guy is a star-studded spot frequented by the Jenners, Justin Bieber, and the odd plebeian (aka you).

3.     Downtown – one of my personal favorite options, this fairly new scene is making a name for itself with some fabulous food, drinks and shopping – all a girl could ever ask for, am I right ladies? Popular “USC” spots include but are not limited to Wokano, EL Cholo, Bottega Louie Sugar Fish and Bacaro. Don’t get too hung up on the idea that #bae will sweep you off your feet and take you to one of these upscale spots in a golden chariot, also known as Uber Black. Instead, plan on heading to one of these eateries for a GNO, or better yet, when your parents are in town. That way, you won’t have to explain the credit card bill to your Dad the next morning. If you venture out on a Friday or Saturday, be warned that you most likely will run into some “extreme Greeks,” drunkenly Ubering their way across the big city for the big invite/date dash/exchange. Small town vibes, you know how it goes.

4.     The 901 – While college bars are hard to come by in the ‘SC area, the 901 is everything a college kid could really ask for, Ann Arbor and Madison be damned. As Justin Bieber made a guest appearance a couple months ago, buying drinks for all the students there, one can only assume this bar is the place to be. Security is tight and fake IDs are busted on the reg, so if you do happen to make it in, be sure to buy a 901 Bar & Grill crop top souvenir to spice up your outfit and show everyone that yes, you can indeed get down.

5.     New/North Residential Halls – You were all freshman once, you know exactly what I’m talking about. That random guy you met on Welcome Week who had already gotten written up 3 times in the first 2 hours of school, yep, he lives in New North. When it’s 2 am and you find yourself back on campus, party is over but you’re still goin’, you can always find a sketchy dorm party with crappy alcohol, chilled to perfection in a mini fridge, and strangers huddled around a Twin XL bed, probably bumping Life of Pablo and realizing slowly that they don’t know anyone else in the room … now that’s what I call a good time.

Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!