In the Media with Aspiring Journalist and President of NABJ at USC: Jordyn Holman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Jordyn is the President of the National Association of Black Journalist Chapter at USC (USCNABJ). As a graduating senior, she reflects on her experiences as an Annenberg Journalism student, NABJ President and her plans for the future.

Basics:

Name: Jordyn Holman

Year: Senior

Hometown: Chicago

Major: Print and Digital Journalism at Annenberg

Her Campus USC: Has it always been your passion to become a journalist?

Jordyn Holman: Yes. I always had a love for writing. During the summer of my junior year of highschool, I attended a program at Northwestern University. I enjoyed the program because I met many likable people who loved journalism.

HC: What are some aspects of journalism do you find rewarding?

JH: I enjoyed good interviews when there’s a real connection and you also grow from the experience. You walk away with a feeling of learning something new about the other person. I also find rewarding of having your work being acknowledged in Print.

HC: How did you get involved in NABJ?

JH: After graduating from high school in 2012, I got involved with the National Chapter of NABJ. I loved the opportunities offered through the organization. When I came to USC, there was no chapter on campus. Once the NABJ chapter became recognized at USC, I became treasurer and learned more about the program.

HC: How long have you been involved?

JH: I have been involved for three years.

HC: How has being involved in NABJ impacted your life both professionally and academically?

JH: Professionally, I became very focused on the activities I wanted to get involved in specifically. NABJ helped me feel comfortable to approach professionals and learn more about internships. Academically, I worked with professors in a professional environment. Also, I feel more connected with other journalism students in Annenberg.

HC: What are some the ways the organization prepares members for a career in journalism?

JH: As a professional chapter, the goal of the chapter is to prepare students for a career in Journalism. For example, we host an industry insight panel, bringing people from HR to insiders in the industry to come speak to our members. NBC Universal New York came and discussed the ins and out of getting an internship and what they looked for in a candidate. We also host resume workshops as well for our members.

HC: Roughly, how many active members are a part of your organization?

JH: We have ten active members. However, we do provide members the opportunity to meet other NABJ chapters in Los Angeles. The third Saturday of each month, the NABJ chapter of Los Angeles host a social event. Although we are a small group, the NABJ Chapter of Los Angeles  is always looking for the USC chapter to attend.

HC: How long have you been serving as president?

JH: I’ve been president for a year since August of 2015.

HC: What are your duties as President of NABJ?

JH: I brainstorm ideas for events and contact guest speakers. Mostly, I perform administrative duties such as follow-ups with members and sending out emails to them about events, scholarships and internships from the NABJ National and also the NABJ Chapter of California. I want members to feel excited about their field and get the most out of their experience in NABJ.

HC: What do you find most rewarding as President?

JH: Although our organization has gone through reconstruction, getting connected with other chapters is what I find most rewarding. I also think that it is rewarding to read letters of recommendation and see what others think of you.  

HC: In your opinion, why is this organization important for aspiring journalists of color?

JH: There are a few organizations on campus that are similar to who you are  and your experiences. At a PWI, it is very important to feel connected with students who share the same experiences. Through NABJ, you can get together and have a space to talk about your ideas and stories. It’s a fun atmosphere because we all come from the same place and experience.

HC: As a senior, what are things you’ll miss as being a part of NABJ?

JH: I’ll miss running into members on campus. Annenberg is a very small school and a close-knit community. I’ll miss hearing about the events happening at Annenberg.

HC: After graduation, do you plan to stay involved in NABJ?

JH: Yes. I plan to stay involved in a city chapter wherever I decide to pursue my journalism career.

HC: As a Chicago native, do you plan to pursue your journalism career back home or here in L.A?

JH: From living in Chicago and now Los Angeles, I definitely plan on being in a big city. After graduation, I’ll be doing internship in New York.

I wish Jordyn Congratulations and wish her the best in her future endeavors as a journalist! I hope to read her compelling stories. Fight On!

Chirsten is an English major at the University of Southern California. She was born and raised in Chicago and now lives in the grand State of Texas. She comes from a sports-loving family and for her, everyday is game day. She also enjoys volunteering in the Los Angeles community and learning new languages.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!