Living Los(t) & Jealous

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

The fantasy of Los Angeles is alive and well.

After all, it’s the place where celebrities are running rampant, everyone is beautiful, the sun is always shining and the bounty of opportunity is constantly full. Isn’t it? Like I said, the fantasy of Los Angeles is alive and well. Sure there are some perks to living in a diverse, culturally rich city like L.A. The influx of thriving businesses and explored industries is nationally unmatched (though New York poses some strong competition). And yes, thanks to our nearly 300 days of beach weather, L.A. kids get to wear sunglasses year-round. Lucky us. Generally speaking, I’ll admit that people here are more attractive than, let’s say, those in Boise, Idaho, but I must warn you: Our city border lines don’t necessarily discriminate against ugly either. And while your chance of spotting Chad Michael Murray at an outdoor shopping mall may be higher while living here, maybe the stalking should just be left to middle-aged paparazzi fiends and Perez Hilton. Like a lesson you learned in elementary school, don’t believe everything you see and hear. Los Angeles, in many ways, falls victim to this cloudy, fantastical image… a stereotypical mischaracterization. Hollywood is in part to blame for driving the fascination and warped reality, but there are other sources as well. Yes, I’m pointing the finger at you, Lauren Conrad. Flaky, shallow, hippie Ed-Hardy clad vegans… on a diet. Once again, all fantasy.

Often stuck in my own alternate universe, my first impressions about L.A. turned out to be more like startling revelations. The summer sun wasn’t pleasant but instead blistering. After a few weeks in, I came to a few conclusions: 1) most people here are actually pretty ordinary 2) irresponsible spending habits and credit card debt is inevitable and 3) too much intake of L.A. air and suddenly I have allergies. The fact of the matter is that clueless, superficial trendiods who talk fast, are unfriendly and jet-set to the Bahamas on the weekends don’t make up the vast population of Angelenos. Similarly, USC has had to push its way out from the L.A. smog, showing that its eclectic pool of students possess more than just style, but substance too. I compare L.A. to window shopping. From the outside looking in, just the glitzy, shiny allure of the expensive silver sequined dress could probably compel you to grab a baseball bat and break open the display. But when you actually walk into the store and try it on, the fit is okay, sparkles are somewhat shiny… but it’s not what you expect. Not good or bad, just different.

Similar to my experience venturing to L.A., people flock to the big city with one idea and are completely shocked by what turns out. In the end, perhaps that’s the beauty of Los Angeles. After three years here, I’ve found that if taken advantage of, the risk-taking, unpredictability and unyielding dreamer spirit embodies the experience and sensation of living here. L.A. requires you to live a little. While it may feel draining at times, the mixed bag and ever-so changing nature of the city is actually fitting of the fickle mindset of a college student. I can attest to this first hand. Since my arrival, my plans of becoming a lawyer have long fizzled, replaced by my booming interest in the entertainment industry and professional goal to work in creative development. With L.A. offering rich opportunity no matter what your dream, Mom and Dad will have to understand. The hustle and bustle of LA keeps you on your toes, pushing you to take chances and follow unexpected paths. So be a political activist, a businessman, a star or a beach bum. It’s all here waiting.

—–
I’m Chris, a L.A. blogger, music publicity intern, journalist and unabashed pop culture nut. Follow along as I pull the veil from Tinseltown and give HerCampus readers the enchanting reality of living the L.A. dream.

Bernadette is a simple creature – all she wants out of life is to eat, write, dance and talk. But she hasn’t found a way to do all four at once without getting really bad cramps. Other than talking with her mouth full, Bernadette can be found beach-cruisin’ through the brick paths of the University of Southern California as a junior studying Public Relations. It sounds fancy, but all she really wants to do is write to, talk with and help teenagers until she’s wrinkly and gross. Bernadette is involved in a mess of editorial and social media projects, a former “Freshman 15″ and a current Los Angeles correspondent for Seventeen Magazine, but she’s been journaling, blogging and Dear-Abby-ing since she was 8. This San Francisco native is a lot like her hair – crazy, in-your-face, and full of surprises. www.BernadetteAnat.com