This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Oh no, did you forget to do a “kind” deed on February 17th? I surely hope not, because it was “Random Acts of Kindness Day”! While charming to have a special day denoted for acts of kindness, if you missed this day, no need to fret. There is nothing stopping you from being kind 365 days a year! You don’t need a national holiday to inspire your kindness. You can model all forms of kindness every minute, hour, day, week, month, and year.  

In One Minute…

1. Compliment the girl at the crosswalk on her admirable fashion sense

2. Send a brief text to lift someone’s spirits, like “Happy Tuesday!”, or smile your pearly whites at a stranger

3. Graciously let someone cut you in the salad bar line during rush hour at “Seeds Market”

In One Hour…

1. Offer your printer, paper, and ink, when someone frantically needs to print an assignment

2. Clean you and your suitmate’s bathroom until it sparkles and shines

3. Treat your boyfriend to a home-cooked fine cuisine meal

In One Day…

1. Use your dining dollars to pay for the lunch of the individual behind you in line at Lemonade

2. Lend your favorite dress to a friend so she can look dazzling on her date

3. Volunteer to drive a friend to LAX so she can catch her flight home for spring break

In One Week…

1. Dedicate every evening to tutoring a classmate for her Organic Chemistry midterm

2. Write a small note to everyone on your dorm floor expressing why they are special

3. Make a new friend, and be in the company of the same person in lecture for a week

In One Month…

1. Go to Santa Monica beach every Saturday morning to help keep a clean natural habitat for beach critters

2. Help your friend prepare cover letters and hunt for a summer internship

3. Support and sweat with your friend on her thirty day yoga challenge

In One Year…

1. Clean out your closet, and take your clothes to the Goodwill on Figueroa, so someone may enjoy your favorites

2. Grow out your locks and donate them to an organization for someone who will truly appreciate them

3. Set aside money, and plan a surprise trip to visit your friend at college on the other side of the country

There is no reason to wait until next year to celebrate “Random Acts of Kindness Day”. You have every reason to start emanating your kindness this instant.

Erika is a junior at the University of Southern California. She is majoring in Human Biology, with an emphasis in the Science of Human Performance. She hopes to minor in journalism or communications. When she is not studying, you can catch Erika dancing down the streets of Los Angeles, or writing in her quirky blog. Unlike the average individual, she aspires to leave the California sunshine, and venture to the hustle and bustle of New York City. While there, her dream is to interview and write for a dance magazine, while pursuing her passion as a dancer.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!