Interview with USC Song Girl Captain Jordan Felix: What it’s Like to “Fight On”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Wonder why the USC football team is bringing their game to the field this season? Because the USC Song Girls are cheering the Trojans onto Victory, of course! Since 1967 this charismatic and talented team of young women have been the epitome of school spirit. There would be no “Fight Song” without their traditional white uniforms, cardinal and gold pom poms, energetic dance moves, and bubbly smiles. Her Campus was lucky enough to interview the 2016 Song Girl captain, Jordan Felix, before she “Fights On” against USC’s next opponent!

Jordan Felix, USC Song Girl Captain

Graduation: Spring 2017

Major: Theater

Minor: Dance and Communications

Years as a USC Song Girl: Three

HCUSC: Have you always dreamt of being a USC Song Girl?

JF: For as long as I can remember! When I was little, my dad would take me to the USC football games. But instead of watching the action on the field, I kept my eyes on the USC Song Girls. Growing up, I was always excited to attend the annual Junior Song Girl Camp, where the current USC Song Girls taught me routines!

HCUSC: What does it mean to call yourself a world famous Song Girl, and represent a program that has existed since 1967?

JF: It’s being a woman of class, and always upholding the positive image of USC and all of its traditions.

HCUSC: What technical dance background has helped you execute the moves on the field?

JF: Well, I’ve been dancing since I was two year’s old. I was a competitive dancer for seventeen years, where I competed in solos, duets, trios, large groups – you name it! I was also on the Rosary High School dance team where we not only performed at sports games, but also competed. Now in college, I’m a USC Song Girl!

HCUSC: What is it like to be captain of a team of 11-13 girls?

JF: It’s a lot of fun, but at times it can be tough considering they’re all my best friends. They’ll want to have fun in practice, but I have to be the one to crack the whip. But I would never trade anything to spend everyday with them, make memories, and be a team member.

HCUSC: Always flawless, how often do you practice?

JF: We practice Monday through Friday, three hours a day, and that doesn’t include our game days. At the start of every practice I lead a work out with weights and mat work, followed by stretching. After, we usually learn choreography or create our own, and then perfect routines for upcoming performances.

HCUSC: What’s something your teammates might say about your leadership quality?

JF: I think they would say my leadership role is important behind the scenes. Orchestration happens on a daily basis rather than just on the field. That said, they would say I challenge myself to make sure I am giving the team everything I have, and encourage everyone involved to also give it their all.

HCUSC: It seems like every game you make a new cardinal and gold fashion statement. How many uniforms do you have?

JF: Throughout the three years I have had a variety of uniforms…let me count. There’s the halter dress, halter-tops, McDonald leotard, modern, traditional… My favorite will always be the traditional uniform because it symbolizes the first Song Girls.

HCUSC: We all know everybody stays until half time just so they can see the Song Girls perform with the USC Trojan Marching Band. Do you choreograph your own dances?

JF: We do a little bit of both! We have excellent choreographers. But a lot of the time it’s a team collaboration; we enjoy being creative and coming up with our own routines. I love choreographing – it’s a hobby!

HCUSC: What’s it like to constantly have thousands of eyes on you? Can you ever spot people you know in the sea of cardinal and gold?

JF: It’s incredible! I love to perform and entertain an audience. Whenever I’m on the field or court, I always see my closest family and friends, and sometimes I given them a little wink.

HCUSC: You manage to keep the crowd entertained with fresh and funky dances throughout the season. How many dances do you know?

JF: Oh gosh. Probably like 70+ per season! So that’s like 210 for my three years!

HCUSC: Is it true that you never know what song Dr. Bartner is going to have the band play?

JF: That’s very true. He always keeps us on our toes.

HCUSC: What’s your favorite standard tune?

JF: TUSK! Duh…UCLA sucks.

HCUSC: What item is a must in your black Nike Song Girl backpack?

JF: Cardinal and gold poms! Everyday.

HCUSC: Girls are always wondering what’s your secret to keeping your hair stay so perfect and voluptuous through a four-hour game?

JF: It’s all about the tease, and a little hairspray!

HCUSC: If you could re-live any football game, which would it be and why?

JF: This season, cheering in Seattle, at the University of Washington vs. USC game, when we beat the #4 ranked team!

HCUSC: A part from the dancing, what did Song Girls teach you?

JF: Time management, leadership, communication, and so much more!

HCUSC: For all the Trojans who aspire to hold this title, what’s your number one piece of advice for a successful try-out?

JF: My number one advice… that’s a tough one. It would probably be to be confident and have fun!

HCUSC: Do you see a Rose Bowl in USC’s future?

JF: Of course! I actually just finished talking to my coach about this. I think Coach Helton will definitely lead us to the Rose Bowl!

HCUSC: Do you plan to pursue cheerleading after graduation?

JF: I’m not too sure yet. I know I want to continue performing, and doing what I love most, dance.

JF: After experiencing three years on this team, I have realized how special it is to be a USC Song Girl. I have learned so much about being part of such a unique team, and representing something bigger than myself. I am so grateful for the program and my coach.

As you cheer from the student section, make sure to keep an eye out for Jordan as she leads you in “We Are SC”, and surely a victory!

Fight On!

Erika is a junior at the University of Southern California. She is majoring in Human Biology, with an emphasis in the Science of Human Performance. She hopes to minor in journalism or communications. When she is not studying, you can catch Erika dancing down the streets of Los Angeles, or writing in her quirky blog. Unlike the average individual, she aspires to leave the California sunshine, and venture to the hustle and bustle of New York City. While there, her dream is to interview and write for a dance magazine, while pursuing her passion as a dancer.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!