Interview with Delta Gamma President: What It’s Really Like to Lead 230 Sorority Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

As if being a leader is not challenging enough, have you ever imagined what it would be like to lead 230 sorority girls? Cubby Sporrong, President of the USC Alpha Nu Chapter, Delta Gamma, sorority, told Her Campus what it is like to “sail a ship” of DGs.  

Year: Junior

Major: Business

Hometown: Redlands, California

Her Campus USC: Following your first days as a USC Trojan, what made you choose to go Greek, and begin your voyage with Delta Gamma?

Cubby Sporrong: My first instinct was to find a way to make friends at USC. Additionally, I wanted to network with women who were striving to achieve similar dreams and aspirations during their college career. I believe you are a product of who you surround yourself with, and thus I wanted to be surrounded by those who would positively influence my maturation into an adult. I found this happy medium by choosing the girls of Delta Gamma.

HCUSC: President of a sorority is an extra role on top of being a student at USC. What is the typical day as President aboard the Delta Gamma ship?

CS: This is a tough question, because everyday is different. Throughout the day I receive multiple text messages and phone calls regarding the sorority. I mostly answer peoples questions, report back to advisors and the University, and make sure all activities are running as planned. I always have something to do as Delta Gamma  has a full calendar with foundation, panhellenic, and social events. Tonight, I will set aside five hours with just two meetings. On average I would say I dedicate about 15-20 hours to this position.

HCUSC: It can be frightening to run for any position. How did you muster the confidence to run for President, and test out the tides?

CS: Having had a rewarding experience as Vice President of Member of Education, I knew I wanted to continue to lead Delta Gamma. I wanted to give back to this sorority, as I can honestly say my time in DG has shaped my college career. DG has opened so many doors for me, increasing my love for USC. To give back in the largest capacity possible, meant running for President. While frightening, it was more intimidating because even though I am passionate about DG, there is always a constant pressure to never disappoint. Support and encouragement from the women who asked me to run, gave me confidence that I could fulfill this position to the best of my ability.

HCUSC: I heard that you sailed to Seattle, Washington, this February for the Executive Offices Conference, or leadership training. What was it like being in an environment with so many leaders?

CS: The coolest part about going to a nation wide event is meeting women from other chapters, and comparing what we do similarly and differently. These discussions are valuable because there is always room for improvement in our chapter. We work together over the course of three days to look for solutions that will strengthen all chapters. It is flattering when we see other chapters seeking our advice, and implementing strategies that have been successful for us at USC.

HCUSC: We both know girls can be a crazy handful at time. What is it like to be in charge of a crew of 230+ Delta Gammas?

CS: There are 230 girls this semester, but this not including those who are abroad. At first it was really overwhelming because I doubted everybody was listening, and my voice would not reach all 230. But I soon realized, though a big number, all share the love of being in Delta Gamma, and do care about our sorority. For example, it is especially exciting if I can encourage all 230 girls to support our foundation, “Service For Sight”, so we can raise a generous amount of money for the blind.

HCUSC: When it comes to navigating around the reef, what has been one of the most difficult tasks as President?

CS: My biggest struggle is making sure people know their “sisters”. I want everyone in our chapter to be equal and share a genuine bond; I do not want it to be seniors vs. freshman. I know everyone’s names, and hope all the girls can spend enough time with each other to do the same.

HSUSC: You love all your “sisters”, but how do you manage to be both a “sister” and President when complications arise and the ship starts to sink?

CS: My innate response is to always understand where the member is coming from, and her reasoning behind the issue. If I don’t know how to solve the problem, I am happy to reach out to my advisor or other Vice Presidents. Hopefully together we can find a solution, which leaves the member in the house equally pleased. I see a combination of understanding, forgiving, and communicating with people always leading to the best solutions.  

HCUSC: I am sure you always have “sisters” seeking your advice. How can you be a buoy to a “sister” struggling to keep up with the current?

CS: To people on CMT (the board of Delta Gamma officers) or who are a little overwhelmed, the best advice I have received and passed on is to take things day by day and communicate. Together we can always figure it out. If you can communicate your problems and never be afraid to reach out, success will come.

HCUSC: Have you ever thought about the legacy you are leaving on a sorority anchored in 1873?

CS: Honestly, I am super busy so this thought has yet to cross my mind. However, I do realize that whatever strategies I choose to implement, will impact women far behind my term, which is really rewarding. As President, there is always a constant pressure to leave a legacy that is both financially stable and supportive of the women in our house, and so I am always thinking not only about present, but future Delta Gammas.

HCUSC: How do you model your letters at the USC port?

CS: As the ultimate leader of Delta Gamma, I have always tried to be the best student I can be in the classroom, whether it means holding the door, saying thank you to professors, never complaining about tests, and never cheating. I think the way women portray themselves in the classroom speaks volumes about their life long pursuit to succeed. I came to USC to be challenged, and I want to demonstrate that serving as President is supplementing my academic pursuits. All women of DG should be good students and take school seriously.

Additionally, you can typically see me walking down Trousdale in a DG shirt or sweatshirt, and of course you can spot the DG letters that have been on my laptop since first week of membership.

HCUSC: With so many fabricated sorority stereotypes, do you ever feel stormed as the President of Delta Gamma?

CS: The stereotype is really hilarious. To be honest, I didn’t even want to go through recruitment, until I heard about it bringing women together. I began recruitment and hated it. Before visiting Delta Gamma, I will never forget turning to the girl standing next to me and saying, “I will never be a DG”. But I ended up walking through the big red door of DG and and loving it! That said, I think people believe the sorority President is a die hard DG, sleeps in anchor pajamas, eats and breaths bronze, pink, and blue. I am not a legacy or crazy anchor lady! I just want to give back to the house that has given me so much these past years.

Erika is a junior at the University of Southern California. She is majoring in Human Biology, with an emphasis in the Science of Human Performance. She hopes to minor in journalism or communications. When she is not studying, you can catch Erika dancing down the streets of Los Angeles, or writing in her quirky blog. Unlike the average individual, she aspires to leave the California sunshine, and venture to the hustle and bustle of New York City. While there, her dream is to interview and write for a dance magazine, while pursuing her passion as a dancer.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!