8 Best Places to Study on the UPC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

If you’re still in the swing of midterms, beginning the stress of writing term papers, or planning for finals (early bird gets the A+, right?), you’re going to need an excellent space to study. Forget fighting the crowds in the UV Starbucks or wasting away under the fluorescent Leavey lights (unless it’s 3:30am, then it may be your only option). Here are the Top 8 study spots on the University Park Campus and surrounding areas!

1. Doheny stacks. Though the maze-like shelving arrangement can be intimidating at first, you won’t get lost! (And if you do, there’s tape on the floor to direct you back to the elevators). Most floors of the stacks offer hidden gems like rows of cubicles with working outlets – amazing, right? Especially if you need to check out a book or seven for a final paper, Doheny is the place to be, and the upper levels are not nearly as crowded as the huge (but beautiful) reading room on the first floor. Hours:
M-Th: 8am – 10pm
F: 8am – 8pm
Sat: 9am – 5pm
Sun: 12pm – 8pm

2. University Village International Food Court. Grab some Sandwich Island or a boba smoothie and settle down to study. Remember to bring cash for snacks – many of the UV food court restaurants don’t take cards! Hours vary by restaurant, but most are open during the following times:
M-F: 10 am – 8pm
Sat: 10 am – 8pm
Sun: 11am – 7pm

3. VonKleinSmid Center Library. VKC isn’t just for foreign languages and political science! The VKC library is rarely crowded and in a great location if you’re cramming last minute before class. Hours:
M-Th: 8am – 10 pm
F: 8am – 8am
Sat: 9am – 5pm
Sun: 12pm – 8pm

4. Seaver Science Library. I discovered this sweet, quiet spot sophomore year. Dominated by engineers and science majors, Seaver is always full of focused students – you might have problems finding an open computer at first, so take your laptop and settle down in an armchair with a built in lamp and pull out your reading. Hours:
M-Th: 8am – 10pm
F: 8am – 8 pm
Sat: 9am – 5 pm
Sun: 12pm – 8pm

5. Seattle’s Best Coffee on Figueroa. This is the perfect environment for those of us who love to study with the smell of coffee surrounding us (pumpkin spice, anyone?). Although perfect for the Gateway crowd, Seattle’s Best is also a great choice when Starbucks is too busy to bear. Gather a group, get a green tea, and get busy working on that presentation. We’d support you rewarding yourself with Freebirds after! Hours:
M-Th: 6am – 11pm
Fri-Sat: 6am – 9pm
Sun: Closed

6. Founders Park. Pretty much the opposite of the harsh library environment, Founders has benches and lots of lawn, all for your studying pleasure. Spread out your sweatshirt and soak in the SoCal sunshine while flipping through slides before class. You can grab a soda from the Taper Hall vending machines to complete the experience. Hours: 24/7, but we recommend going while it’s light out!

7. Grace Ford Salvatori Hall lobby. Relax and listen to music in a comfortable chair or pull a set of ottomans together to exchange ideas before a nearby exam. GFS is the perfect place to steal a few minutes of study time. Hours: the building stays open until the last class ends each day – check the class schedules if you plan on staying late!

8. LiteraTea. Speaks for itself, right? Grab a tea and settle down with your Lit homework (or whatever else you need finish up)! Located behind Doheny, LiteraTea is open at the following times:
M- Th: 7:30am – 6pm
F: 7:30am – 5pm
Sat and Sun: Closed

Mary Higgins is a junior at USC majoring in Cognitive Science and minoring in Psychology and Law. She's originally from North Carolina (and will always be a southern girl), but she can't get enough of the Southern California sunshine. She enjoys sweet tea with lemon, working on her first original research project in social neuroscience, Trojan Football, and watching videos of baby elephants.