sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s Okay To Not Party In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Photo by 85Fifteen on Unsplash

College is a time of change. While some people mature, others stick to their old ways. Some have the mentality that school comes before fun while others believe that fun trumps everything and that school is joke.

You will meet people in college that believe the only way to have fun in college is to party every weekend. You’ll also meet people who believe that hanging out with friends, going on adventures and having game nights is the true version of fun. Every person has their own definition of what fun is.

Some people believe that college is just a bunch of parties, where guys will jump through tables to be “cool.” And yes, I’m sure there are people who have you fully convinced that this is what college is. I’m sorry to inform you that this isn’t true. College is full of balancing deadlines, exams and a job while also trying to get your degree without too much debt.

Photo by Jens Kreuter on Unsplash

If you would rather spend your Saturday night in bed binge-watching Netflix, that is perfectly okay. If you would rather spend your Friday night finishing the 10 page paper that’s due on Monday, then do that! Don’t ever feel pressured to go out and party in order to “fit in.” People might say that you’re a nerd or that you’re boring, but they’ll shut up when you get a kick-a** grade on that paper.

Partying isn’t for everyone. If you attend a “party school” but don’t go partying, people will probably talk about you because they have nothing better to do with their lives. Let them! You care about being successful in college. I’m not saying that people who party can’t be successful, but there are definitely people in your classes who are close to failing due to their poor choices.

You get to decide how you spend your weekends. Your choices will either benefit or hinder your school performance. Just know that it is okay if you don’t go out and party in college. Take it from me: I have a good GPA and still have loads of fun with my friends…without making stupid decisions.

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.