This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Congratulations, you’ve made it through winter!

Welcome spring! 

Spring is my favorite season by far for so many reasons. When I think of spring, I think of renewal. This magical season renews the mind, body, spirit, home, diet and garden.  

“Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s party!'”

-Robin Williams  

I spend a lot of my time outside in the spring, whether I’m working or walking to class. During my journeys, I am attentive to the different signs that mother nature sends me. 

I see the purple crocus flowers awakening from a year-long hibernation. I wake up to the tranquilizing sound of birds chirping. I feel a bit of hope shining out from within me.

I work as a florist at a garden center, and a large portion of my job there is helping customers prepare their spring gardens. We received our first shipment of soil, seeds, bulbs, fresh tulips, daffodils, and of course the iconic plant of spring: the pansy. With this shipment we were ready to help anyone and everyone who wanted to spruce up their gardens this spring. 

Helping others is incredibly important to me whether it be through random acts of kindness or just offering a stranger a simple smile at Stop and Shop. 

Plant lovers pride themselves on their seasonal gardens, and I honestly love helping them pick out the plants of their dreams. Spring gardening is beneficial to the mind and soul because it gives you a sense of renewal through the process of cleaning the soil beds, purchasing new plants and flowers, and taking a warm day off from work to get the planting done. 

Besides flowering plants, animals are a great addition to spring’s arrival. Have you noticed all the animals that come out in the spring? There more squirrels, chipmunks, deer, birds and raccoons when it starts to get warmer. Squirrels begin to scale tree trunks, birds become your alarm clock, and raccoons start appearing in the middle of the roads.  

One more amazing thing about spring is that it is an opportunity to revive your mind, body and spirit. If you’re like me, you become groggy, lazy, tired and slightly depressed in the winter months. I am guilty of eating a good amount of ice cream as well. Although I am dedicated to my yoga practice, I don’t go for bike rides or eat very healthy during the winter.

But when the end of March slowly approaches I begin to feel hopeful and happy again. My positivity levels go through the roof and I instantly become more peaceful with myself and my surroundings. The thought of long skirts and dresses fills my soul with pure bliss.  

Let this season affect you positively on both a personal and material level. Use this season to renew yourself as a happier, lighter, more joyful being that spreads its cheer to others. Plant yourself a garden or just buy a couple of plants to get you into the spring mood. 

Don’t block out the sounds of birds at the crack of dawn. Instead, listen to their song and let it soothe you back to sleep. 

“No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn.”

-Hal Borland

Let spring be a reward for your perseverance through the distressing and horrendous winter weather and the negative emotions that come with it. Let yourself turn back into who you truly are and do the things that you love. 

Hi! My name is Megan Collamati and I'm a junior at the University of Rhode Island.  I am currently studing journalism and sustainability. I'm born and raised in the beautiful state of Rhode Island and am always excited to learn new things. Thanks for taking a look at my articles!