Queen of Recruitment: Emilia DeMarco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity helped over 650 girls find their home in the Panhellenic community. You could call her the Queen of Recruitment however, most people know her as the lovely Emilia DeMarco!

DeMarco is a senior at the University of Rhode Island and majoring in communication studies. She is from Fairfax, Virginia and loves photography, reading, lacrosse and of course, greek life! As a sister of ZTA and the Vice President of Recruitment on Panhellenic, Emilia has shown her committment to Greek Life at URI through her undeniable passion.

“I always knew I wanted to be in a sorority. My mom was in one, so Greek life was a deciding factor in which school I went to. I decided to join Greek life because I saw the lifelong friendships my mom had made and I wanted that to be a part of my college experience.”

DeMarco was inspired to join the Panhellenic Executive Council because she saw the relationships that her Big made with other men and women in greek life. She wanted to get more involved with the greek community and live up to her full potential as a leader. She believes she has become more outgoing and with the support of so many people, she has been able to try things she never thought were possible.

“It has been an amazingly fun and stressful time. I co-organized Freek Day and Beach Day, and then my Recruitment Team and I facilitated the rounds of recruitment. It’s a lot of behind the scenes work with the ICS computer system and working out the lists/schedules for all the PNMs. There were a lot of late nights with my assistants, waiting for the RFM specialist to give us numbers, staying up if chapters had questions about the computer system, and dealing with PNM excuse forms. My favorite part of recruitment was probably designing the t-shirts for the PNMs and the Recruitment Counselors to wear, as well as creating the Recruitment Booklet. My passion has overshadowed the late nights, many phone calls, and countless emails. It has been a rewarding experience to see 650 girls find their homes within Greek Life like I had the opportunity to do my Freshman year.”

Celebrity crush: Josh Duhamel

Theme song: Wild Mustang by Yellow Claw

Favorite on-campus spot: Christoper House

Favorite candy: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

Words to live by: “She is clothed with strength and dignity and she laughs without fear of the future.” Proverbs 31:25

Favorite place to eat: Chipotle! 

Alexia Williams is a member of the Class of 2017 at the University of Rhode Island. She is a Elementary Education and Sociology double major. She loves to eat, pray,and love!