This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Music has been a huge part of my life. When I went to my first concert, I was six years old and I went to see my dad’s favorite band, Rush. I have spent my entire life with music involved with everything I do. I clean, I cry, I drive, I study, I sing with music. I can never imagine a life without singing on the top of my lungs to my favorite music. I have listed a bunch of songs that I have fallen in love with in the past few weeks and you should definitely give them a listen!

1. Pynk by Jannelle Monae (feat. Grimes) One Word: empowerment. This is my morning anthem. It prepares me for the day by making me feel empowered and confident. Such a good pick me up! The main artist, Janelle, is a phenomenal artist and her newest singles are absolutely booty bumping!

2. Ramona by Cody Simpson One Word: beachy. This song is by Cody Simpson, one of my earliest hearththrobs! He has transitioned from syrupy pop music to a mix of McJagger and reggae. Ramona makes me want to wear ripped black jeans and a leather jacket. It makes me feel pretty badass and it’s perfect for a drive down to the beach (once it finally get’s warm…. at some point). 

3. Lost in Japan by Shawn Mendes  One Word: escape.  Shawn Mendes did not disappoint with this new single. It makes me think of running away with someone in the city. I also love Japan and I have a personal connection to the lyrics which makes the song even better. His vocals in the song and the harmonies are perfect with the feeling you get from listening.

4. Youngblood by 5 Seconds of Summer One Word: angst. I have been a big fan of 5SOS since the beginning of high school. Their music has aged very well, as well as the group. This song has a very strong beat and the chorus just blows you away. I love listening to this song in between classes because it keeps me walking at a fast pace. 

5. Better With You by Jesse McCartney One word: BUTTERFLIES. I just want to roll down my car windows and scream this at the top of my lungs. I am a huge Jesse McCartney fan and I have been since I was little. He was one of my very first crushes. He has made a great comeback with Better With You because it sounds like it could be a continuation of Beautiful Soul (what a THROWBACK). Jesse has changed his music from club music to slow acoustic music and I am hoping this isn’t the end! 

Brooke Conneally is a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Communications. She spends most of her time playing guitar while singing, pinning projects on Pinterest, cuddling with her cats, and organizing her room.