Every Reason Why Your Mom is Your Hero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As we grow up soaring through life, we hold on to our inspirations and motivators. A hero is someone that inspires me to do my best, someone that I can look up to and someone that truly understands me. My mom is my hero. She is my mentor, my rock and my support system. A mother’s love is rare and wonderful; that nothing can replace the space she has in our hearts. She has been nothing but influential and the center of my universe. She never fails to force a smile on my face and inspire me to greatness.

Mom, I want you to know that I am so thankful to have you in my life. I only hope to be half the woman that you are and I’d like to dedicate this to you for being the strongest and most incredible woman I know. Here’s every reason why our mom’s are our heroes:

She sacrifices her time for you.

Perhaps there are times of frustration our moms go through, but give them a break. All they want is the very best for you.  These women are professionals at multitasking. She juggles her problems, work and being there for your family at all times. So, give momma a nice pat on the back the next time she wakes up at 3 A.M. to listen to your problems. They’re the people that will wake up before dawn to make us breakfast and go to sleep well past sunset just to make sure you’re home and in bed safe. Even though they’re tired, they still manage to go about the day with a smile on their face. 

“Whenever I’m sick, my mom gets so worried that she can’t be here to comfort me whenever I’m sick or sad. She goes out of her way to call me 10 times a day just to make sure things are going smoothly for me. When I’m not okay, she’s not okay.” – Alexa Gama

She loves you unconditionally.

No matter what we do, what mistakes we make, what we say, or how much we upset them, their love for us will never subside. It will always be unconditional. We live in a world where sometimes we don’t realize how hurtful our words can be. Although she might take it to heart when you ask her to drop you off a block away from school, she is still going to love you when you get home. Let’s face it, she puts up with your crap. No matter how big the fight or disagreement, you can always count on her to resolve the issue. Open your heart and drop the resentments because your mom would much rather hug it out and put it in the past. Her smile is contagious and you can’t help but cave in when you see it.

“I give my mom so much credit for working hard everyday. I don’t know how she does it.” – Kaya Oner

She’s the most selfless person in your life.

She thinks of you first, and only you. Day in and day out they give and don’t stop giving. They constantly repeat their daily routines of going to work, carpooling to soccer games, prepping dinner, folding clothes and being an avid listener to their kids. She is over protective when it comes to rules because her boundaries made YOU a better person. She gives and continues to give. Whether it be material things or things like the instincts you have to keep you safe, she’s making sure you have everything you need everyday. When you hear your mom in your head, she’s just doing her job.

“I don’t know where I would be without my mom. There hasn’t been a second where I was left in the dark. She always has my back.” – Maddy Schulte 

She can whip up a gourmet dinner effortlessly.

How bad do you miss your mom’s cooking right now? We college kids need a good meal made with lots of love after a long day of classes; we deserve it. Unfortunately, we have to wait until we go home for break. Eating dining hall food forces you to appreciate your momma’s home cooking. There is nothing better than your first home cooked meal since being back from school. If you’re lucky enough when you move off campus she will relay all her tips and tricks to a delicious and mouthwatering meal. Even if you attempt using her recipes, the ingredient that is always missing is her love. As you eat, make sure you tell her it tastes amazing because she’s isn’t the person that just slaps something together for you.

“Sometimes she makes me 5 star meals and I think she could cook in a restaurant, but other times she makes bomb grilled cheese. Anything she makes me is better than amzing. Her versatility amazes me, I guess it’s a mom thing.” – Kaya Oner

She just gets it.

Your mom is the one who supports your dreams when no one else will. When the world turns their back on you, she’ll be standing there with open arms. She will be that unbiased opinion you need once drama strikes and she will get you out of trouble when you need it. She is your person. Nothing is as valuable as her presence. She knows you better than you know yourself. She senses your pain, and radiates positivity. She can read your mind in situations of awkward silence. She knows you, respects you, and lives for your success.

“I wish I could see her right now and prove to her she’s done her job right. I know she lives for the smile on my face when I achieve my goals. How many more weeks until Thanksgiving? It’s only been a few weeks since I’ve seen her and I miss her terribly.” – Layla Helmy

Go and call your mom, tell her she’s your hero. She deserves it. 

I'm willing to make anybody smile. I write to show how I chase happiness, contain & maintain positivity, express love and thought, and pursue strength and stability.