stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways to Stay Healthy at the Start of a New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

1. Utilize your FREE gym membership.

Half of you probably have a New Year’s resolution of being better with your money, and of these people, most of you probably have another resolution of getting in shape again like you were back in high school. Kill two birds with one stone by using the free gym membership you get simply because you are a student at URI.

2. Don’t like frat stars staring at your bum while you’re on the elliptical?

Use some of the holiday money you received from relatives over for a membership at a local gym. If you’re paying for something with your own money, you’re more likely to actually use it. Pick a location on your way to or from campus, so it’s as convenient as possible to get there.

3. Stop drinking wine every night.

Although we’re all stuck in the delusion that our lives are beautiful disasters and every woman deserves a drink (or three) at the end of the day, you could do without the extra calories. Curb your cravings or – for the sake of wine – desires to save up for one huge glass at the end of the week. You won’t hate yourself for this.

4. Do you even squat?

Squats are so easy. So. Stinkin’. Easy. There are multiple times a day when you are just standing around. You know, the few minutes in the morning when you’re brushing your teeth, the longer period of time when you are straightening your hair or the even longer period of time when you are sitting on the couch watching Netflix. These are all perfect opportunities to squeeze a couple squats into your daily routine.

5. Channel your inner yogi.

Yoga improves your strength, balance and flexibility and a little peace of mind at the same time. You can find beginner videos on YouTube. Plus: Once you master a cool new pose, you have a really perfect Instagram opportunity on your hands.

6. Don’t go into this alone.

If you let yourself go a bit last semester, you probably have at least one friend who did, too. Find a gym buddy, a friend with awesome healthy recipes or a friend who loves Zumba as much as you do. Find this friend, and motivate each other.

7. Your drinking habits should be on a health kick, too.

Vodka cranberries are delicious, and Jack and cokes make you look like you can really handle your liquor. But after three or four drinks (as long as you’re 21), you’ve already consumed a quarter of your days-worth of calories. Add the few slices of pizza you’ll devour when you get home from the bar, and you’re well over your limit. Switch to drinks that contain tonic, seltzer water or really anything that doesn’t include one pound of sugar.

8. Figure out your downfall.

Colleges are filled with an abundance of take-out restaurants that all produce food that seems to be the best thing we’ve ever eaten. Personally, I could eat buffalo cheese fries from Fat Jacks every day of my life, but I know that would be extremely detrimental to my appearance. Instead, allow yourself to indulge in your favorite food once a month. You’ll have something to look forward to and exercise some willpower.

Remember these tips, and keep pushing yourself. Spring Break is around the corner, and we all know we would love to be rocking flat abs and bubble butts in pictures from our trip to Cancun. New year. New semester. New you. You can do this.

Sabrina is a senior at URI studying public relations. She is originally from MA but has found a home in the Ocean State. A peer mentor, sister of Kappa Delta sorority, and HC Campus Correspondent at URI, she loves being involved on campus. If she could describe herself in a few words, she would say she's a driven individual with a huge heart who's obsessed with all things fashion, music, and adventurous.