4 Ways to Show Your Mom Appreciation Without Buying a Gift This Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Holidays like Mother’s Day and Father’s Day are fun and special! It’s one day out of the whole year that is meant just for them (even though you should be thanking them everyday for all they do for you). However, these holidays don’t always require you to spend money on a gift. Get creative and do something different! 

1. Bake Them Their Favorite Dessert

*Photo Courtesy of Pam Menegakis*

What mom doesn’t love baking for their kids? My mom always makes us cookies and brownies for a little after dinner surprise! Instead, use their recipes to make them what they love! 

2. Design Homemade Cards

*Photo Courtesy of Kate Trysh*

Instead of wasting $3 or more on a Hallmark card, make your own! All you need is some printer paper and markers. You can make it way more personal than any store bought card can. Tell them how grateful you are for them and that you love them so much. I am sure it will put a smile on their face :)

3. Spend a Full Day Together 

*Photo Courtesy of Michal Parzuchowski*

If you’re trying to save money, you don’t have to go out and do a fun activity. Stay home and binge watch a show together! My mom and I love watching House Hunters or Fixer Upper together when I’m home from school. You could even have a game night and play board games with the whole family!

4. Go Outside and Have Fun

*Photo Courtesy of Maxime Bhm*

As long as it’s not crappy weather like this spring has been so far, do some fun outdoor activities with your momma! You could go for a run if you guys exercise together, go for a walk around the neighborhood and see what everyone else is up to or even play a game! My mom and I love taking our doggo outside to get her all excited! 

Hey everyone! My name is Cassie and I am from Connecticut. I am a junior at URI majoring in pharmaceutical sciences. I am not entirely sure what I want to do with that major yet but hey, that's what college is for! I am obviously a apart of the URI Her Campus chapter and I am also a member of the Colleges Against Cancer here at URI. In this club, we plan the annual URI Relay for Life which is held down in Mackal Field House. I am so excited for our Her Campus launch and to be writitng weekly articles for you all :)